Janice's Reviews > A Very Large Expanse of Sea

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

F 50x66

I’m not usually someone who enjoys a story that is predominantly about the attraction between two people BUT I did like this one.
The setting is one year after 9/11 and 16 year old Shirin, an American born Muslim whose family moves frequently has just started at yet another school. She’s well prepared to survive however because she expects no decency or friendliness from anyone. Her motto could be, “Expect nothing but hostility and racist rudeness, and you won’t be surprised.”
This changes when she meets Ocean James. I do have to admit that I initially hated his name. He’s not phoney at all nor full of himself and Ocean sounds like someone obnoxious and conceited. I got over it though.
Shirin tries admirably to deny and ignore the pull of the Ocean, but can’t. (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)
There’s much more to the book than just the attraction. There’s something important about Ocean that Shirin doesn’t know, there’s the changing tide of her fickle school colleagues that Shirin has to deal with and there’s her extracurricular breakdancing adventure spearheaded by her super supportive older brother. If I had to pick a literary brother for myself, I think I’d pick her brother, Navid.
Warning: There is some strong profanity sprinkled throughout the book, but imho it is totally necessary in order to establish the hostile atmosphere.
Overall - I think my mature grade eights will really enjoy this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Very Large Expanse of Sea.

March 19, 2019 – Started Reading