Wendy's Reviews > Please Look After Mother

Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin

Feb 11, 2012

Read in November, 2011

This is a relentlessly sad and universal wake up call to cherish your mother while she is with you. The book shows us that we don't know what we have until it's gone. Women, in every culture, sometimes have complex relationships with their mothers, particularly as they attempt to forge their own identities. However, if we focus on the sacrifices our mothers make, the pain they endured to give us life and to sustain us throughout our challenging teenage years, while foregoing their own dreams, then maybe we won't end up with the regrets the characters in this book have.

In this book, the children have to some extent realised their dreams, but they still seem dissatisfied. They weren't happy even before the catalyst that drives the plot of the story - the mom's disappearance – occurs.

What is clear though is that they mainly took her for granted as she scratched out a future for them - literally with her fingernails. Now, they have no chance left to thank her or cherish her. So, heed the wake up call, tell your mom how much you love her and do something for her she would truly like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Look After Mother.