C.G. Drews's Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by Kiersten White

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2020, young-adult

You know those books where you just have a really good time?! HERE is one. It just makes me nostalgic for my paranormal craze, when all I did was inhale Supernatural episodes and read Shadowhunters. This just fits with that mood perfectly. Sass. Humour. Epic group squad dynamics. DEMONS. Bit o' betrayal from loved ones. More sass to cover up the pain. It's perfect.

two things to know: (1) I loved reading Slayer last year and I, um, still haven't seen any Buffy episodes? my bad. (2) I really don't remember how Slayer ended 😂so I went into this with a bit of "why are they a sanctuary for demons now" bUT it actually didn't impede my enjoyment at all! Things clicked into place and I was settled in, ready for popcorn and mysteries and hellgod content.

(I know Buffy is a vampire slayer but we really do not slay vampires in this series do we??)

The best part, for me, is definitely the characters. I need epic characters for me to really fall in love with a book and GAH I love them!! Nina is a sassy Hufflepuff disaster, struggling with grief and confusion and her "urge to kill" tendencies have indeed risen. She can barely control them and she doesn't know what's wrong with her. But she's still SOFT and she's so loving and protective of her friends. I totally love love love Nina!!

Then we have the excellent spread of secondary characters: Rhys and Cillian are absolutely the best, my gay nerds. One of my favourite moments was their fight where Cillian stood on a book to piss Rhys off. (THE AUDACITY.) Cillian also has a lot more backstory mysteries to unravel which was excellent. Then I really loved the teleportation demon, she was cuuute. Jessi aggressively protecting the Littles is adorable. Am HERE for Doug, the absolute nicest ever demon and how he like gently disapproves of Nina's depth of sadness and tries to be there for her. OH. And we have some chapters from Artemis' point of view, as she is off possibly joining the bad side. I admit, I didn't really follow what Artemis was doing but that could be because I forgot a bit of book 1. I basically disliked her though. She was justifying her awfulness and just, nope, Artemis, sit down.

And the writing is just so good! Fun, easy to read, engaging! No dull moments, the pacing of the plot was just comfortable. Honestly that's what the story is, a comfort read for me! Not to say it was low-stakes, but just it felt familiar. Nina's voice is easy to relate to and I lived for the domestic moments in between the badass fighting scenes. (There is no such thing as eating ONE COOKIE, okay. Nina deserves all the cookies.)

I hope there is more in this series because !! I love !!

I thoroughly recommend the Slayer books for anyone who loves the sass of paranormal creatures who protect, eat too many cookies, and have messy emotions and the BEST sass squad dynamics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.

March 20, 2019 – Shelved
March 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 25, 2020 – Started Reading
March 25, 2020 –
page 0
0.0% ""I am! I really am! I'm, like, the only Hufflepuff the Watcher society ever had! Everyone else is pure Ravenclaw or Slytherin. I just want everyone to be so happy! And love each other! And love me! Except lately, I also want to hurt and kill and maim things. But that's okay too, right? I mean, if you're good at something it's important to develop your talents."

omg Nina 😂 I love her so much"
March 27, 2020 – Shelved as: paranormal