Kirstie's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, speculative-fiction, strong-female-characters, young-adult

This book has a wealth of strong characters doing fun things in a cool world. The story has some great page-turning velocity which made it a quick read - I'm certainly glad I had the next book already in my possession so there was no wait ;p

I kinda wish I hadn't read 'King of Scars' first(I had thought it was a truly standalone story, and while it works that way it spoilers a *lot* of this series) since that meant I already knew the big mid-point twist and it ruined half the fun of the love triangle. Though it definitely was a better rendered love triangle than a lot of what's floating around in YA these days. It is still very solidly a YA tale though, with a lot of the familiar YA tropes and overall feel (not a bad thing ;p )

The world building and magic system were an original take. I loved the concept of the fold.

Alina is a great female lead. Even with all things against her she still has so much pluck, and aside from a little self-degradation around her looks she never perceives herself as useless or a waste of space.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

March 18, 2019 – Started Reading