QNPoohBear's Reviews > Murder, She Meowed

Murder, She Meowed by Liz Mugavero

bookshelves: clean-romance, cozy-mystery, kisses-only

Stan Connor is busier than ever with her pet patisserie doing brisk business and planning her wedding to Jake. Stan is eager to marry Jake in their beloved pub surrounded by their friends from the village. Unfortunately her mother and sister have other ideas. While Patricia moves mountains to obtain a church on the village green, Caitlyn plans an elaborate bachelorette party of the type Stan does NOT want. At first the party is fun, with good friends and good food but Caitlyn's idea of fun includes a stripper jumping out of a fake cake. (cue Stan cringing) When the stripper fails to jump out at the appointed time, Stan has a bad feeling. Her bad feeling becomes a reality when the young man is discovered stabbed to death with one of Stan's kitchen knives. Stan feels violated and is determined to help Jessie find the killer. It gives her a good excuse for dodging her mother, until she needs her mother's help, which of course comes with strings attached. Will she ever get a happy wedding?

This is the very best of the mysteries. It has a tight mystery filled with red herrings I never suspected. I stayed up very late reading until the end and was shocked to discover who did it. I should have guessed but it seemed impossible. There's also the wedding drama that takes up nearly as much time as the mystery. Stan's mother's plans would drive me insane too! I feel like Jake should have acted as mediator and explained patiently to Patricia what they wanted and why and how Patricia could be included. If Jake couldn't do it than Nikki should have, as a more neutral party.

I can relate a lot to Stan in this book. Her mother causes her to act like a 16-year-old, something I know all too well. There's no way I could ever get married because my style is more like Stan's and not at all like Patricia's, yet I know my family would want the big shindig like Patricia. I know Patricia wants to be included in her daughter's life but she doesn't listen or behave respectfully towards her adult daughter. If Stan acts 16, then it's because her mother treats her like she's 16. I also like the way Stan investigates. Now she's almost Jessie's sister, she is mostly careful not to get in the way of Jessie's investigation and let Jessie know what she's learned.

The murder victim, Perry, was a young man in the prime of his life. He was good looking and he knew it so he was a bit arrogant. Perry liked to flirt and have a good time as most young men in their 20s do. His death is a real tragedy. I don't blame him for not wanting the path his family has laid out for him. He should be free to pursue his passions.

Jake is still swoony but I dislike how he keeps disappearing whenever Stan's mother shows up to talk her version of wedding plans. He should be there too with Stan. It's his wedding and his pub. It's nice to see Nikki and Stan interact again. Mostly they just talk on the phone and Nikki is doing her pet rescue thing. Nikki is fun and a good friend but like Jake, she won't stand up to Stan's mother. Brenna is her usual, energetic, bubbly self for the most part. She shows some cracks under the strain of the murder investigation. Caitlyn annoys me very much. She's trying to be a good sister but doesn't really understand Stan. I think she's jealous of Stan's awesome life and wants to play sleuth while Stan is a (amateur) sleuth. Caitlyn comes across as very naive and a bit crazy. Cyril growing on me. While I find his tenacity a bit annoying, especially when he badgers Stan, he's socially awkward and doesn't have a personal life. I feel sorry for him and like how Stan's feelings about Cyril have changed a bit. Izzy gets a minor role in this story in a positive way. She's the one friend who stands by Stan and will go the extra mile to help Stan.

The pets are adorable as always, especially Scruffy. The cats play a much larger role in this story than any of the others but the dogs are relegated to the background. Take a look at the cover image-that scene is not exactly in the book but I would go BALLISTIC if I saw that chocolate! As much as I love chocolate, I know it's not good for furbabies and I would turn into a murderer if someone killed my furbabies with chocolate. Thank goodness the cover image is an artist's rendering to go with the cutesy title.

There are many people in Frog Ledge who have a one way ticket to crazy town! The victim's girlfriend, Andrea, is understandably upset about his death but the more information revealed about her, the less I like her or feel sorry for her. There's another character who needs serious psychiatric help. Wallace, a farm worker, comes off as a bit of a creepy stalker. He does not have anything nice to say about the victim who really didn't deserve his fate. The farmer, Roger, sings a different tune but is he lying to protect himself? The victim's family cares more about their public image than their son. His sister, Sydney, seems distraught over his death but is there a silver lining for her in this cloud that may have caused her to kill her brother? Even so, Sydney and her husband seem nicer than her parents.

I do have a few questions and comments I can't write without spoiling the plot. I'm impatiently waiting for a real life friend to read it so we can get together and talk about it.

I would not recommend reading this book without having read at least some of the previous books in the series. Fans of the series will be delighted with this newest entry. I hope Stan continues to have adventures despite her feeling that Frog Ledge will start to quiet down. The author has two new pups who deserve their chance in the spotlight!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder, She Meowed.

March 20, 2019 – Shelved