Hillary's Reviews > Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, arcs

My brain clicks, and for an instant, he’s not Rob Lachlan now, he’s Rob Lachlan from a year ago. We were from two different words once: popular boy and nerdy girl. We’re still from two different worlds: cop’s daughter and criminal’s son.

I enjoyed some parts of this book but the rest was a bit boring. I probably would have dnfed it if I hadn’t received an arc via Netgalley, and I’m grateful because I would have missed so many good parts otherwise, but I’m also not. Can you see the dilemma?
The main problem was that this book was 100 pages too long, in my opinion. My interested literally went really up and really down throughout the whole thing, so I’m pretty sure this is a case of “it’s me, not you”.

What I loved about this book is that it’s much more than a contemporary romance. The romance is a subplot instead of taking center part, while characters and difficult subjects are explored thoroughly.

The book is told from Rob and Meagan’s points of views. At the beginning it felt like the povs were changing too quickly for me to get to really know both of them, but I got used to it a lot faster than I thought, and in the end I actually liked how dynamic the book was. It kinda saved the book for me.

Both Rob and Meagan were interesting to read about. They were annoying at times too, but it was bearable. Rob had a lot on his plate, while Meagan really didn’t, so sometimes their narrative arcs felt unbalanced. Meagan was so convinced things were hard for her entire family, and yeah, it’s true, but look at what Rob has to go through? I’m sure he has it way worse.
They start seeing each other because of a calculus homework, and they grow close too fast to be honest (also because calculus was almost never the reason they met), but their relationship was great. First of all, Rob talked freely with Meagan about their relationship. I don’t understand why YA characters are so fixated with waiting for the other one to text first the day after the first kiss, but here it didn’t happen.
Second, Rob is so freaking sweet with Meagan and keeps asking for CONSENT. It’s not something you see very often. I loved it.
However, they still acted a bit stupid sometimes, like when they go to a certain party in a certain person’s house (really??).

Another thing I liked seeing was the sisterly bond between Meagan and Samantha. Samantha’s arc was a lot to take in, especially because of what she ends up doing, but the best part about it was how protective Meagan was with her and viceversa.

The climax was well done and kept me turning the pages, but the twist before that was underwhelming as I had predicted it from the beginning.

In the end I liked reading this book but I didn’t exactly enjoy it properly. However, if you want to read a contemporary that discusses money and teenage pregnancy in the right way, pick this one up.

I wonder what it’s like to watch other kids hand over disposable cash when you’re condemned to eat cheese sandwiches every day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call It What You Want.

March 20, 2019 – Shelved
April 24, 2019 –
11.0% "OMG what"
April 26, 2019 –
page 152
40.11% "I have a feeling this book is going to end up being too long for my taste."
April 27, 2019 –
page 181
47.76% "Rob leans down close to speak over the music. He’s never been this close to me before, and he smells like spices and warmth and every dirty thought I’ve ever had.

...okay? Because that makes sense."
April 28, 2019 –
page 342
90.24% "I can’t wait for this book to be over 🙈"
April 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Yna Nicole ❤ Great review~ Will definitely read this one because I am a sucker for cute covers 😅

Hillary Nicole ❤ wrote: "Great review~ Will definitely read this one because I am a sucker for cute covers 😅"

Hahah, if that isn’t something I would do too! I hope you will enjoy it 😄