Lucille's Reviews > Unravel Me

Feb 10, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars, books-that-destroyed-me
Read on March 19, 2014

After reading:

AHHHHHHH!!! Omg Team Warner!! Omg yes Juliette and Warner. I would cry if they don't end up together

************

10/8/12 Update: When I first saw the cover, the first thing that popped in my head was, Is Juliette blue-eyed? LOL.
I hope they're planning to make a cover that will match the Shatter Me.

Unravel Me. Great choice for a title!
Screw Adam! I'm Team Kenji on this!!

Prediction:
1. Kenji will fall for Juliette, and be able to touch her.
2. Juliette and Adam will fight because she didn't tell him that Warner can touch her.
3. Kenji will comfort Juliette.
4. Juliette would be torn between choosing Kenji over Adam!
5. And there's Warner who'd come for Juliette! Then Juliette would be torn between doing the right thing and doing bad things with Warner.

Just my wishful thinking. I don't want 2 and 5 to happen though..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

Quotes Lucille Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“It's just a whisper of a kiss but something collapses in my skull. It's a feather-light brush of his mouth against my skin in a place I can't quite see. It's my mind speaking in a thousand different languages I don't understand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Sticks and stones keep breaking my bones but these words, these words will kill me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Warner was supposed to be dead. Warner was supposed to be dead because I was supposed to have shot him but no one supposed I'd need to know how to fire a gun so now I suppose he's come to find me.
He's come to fight.
For me.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Time goes on even when we do not.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I know next are his arms, the desperate edge to his voice when he says my name, and I'm unraveling in his embrace, I'm frayed and falling apart and I'm making no effort to control the tremors in my bones and he's so hot his skin is so hot and I don't even know where I am anymore.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I am nothing more than the consequence of catastrophe.”
tags: life

Tahereh Mafi
“We’re running out of time, he said.

As if time were the kind of thing you could run out of, as if it were measured into bowls that were handed to us at birth and if we ate too much or too fast or right before jumping into the water then our time would be lost, wasted, already spent.

But time is beyond our finite comprehension. It’s endless, it exists outside of us; we cannot run out of it or lose track of it or find a way to hold on to it. Time goes on even when we do not.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Are you kidding?” I stop in the middle of the kitchen. Spin around. My face is pulled together in disbelief. “You’ve spoken to me maybe once in the two weeks I’ve been here. I hardly even notice you anymore.”

“Okay, hold up,” he says, turning to block my path. “We both know there’s no way you haven’t noticed all of this” — he gestures to himself — “so if you’re trying to play games with me, I should let you know up front that it’s not going to work.”

“What?” I frown. “What are you talking abou—”

“You can’t play hard to get, kid.” He raises an eyebrow. “I can’t even touch you. Takes ‘hard to get’ to a whole new level, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh my God,” I mouth, eyes closed, shaking my head. “You are insane.”

He falls to his knees. “Insane for your sweet, sweet love!”

Tahereh Mafi
“Please—please get up—and lower your voice—”
“Hell no.”
“Why not?” I’m pleading now.
“Because if I lower my voice, I won’t be able to hear myself speak. And that,” he says, “is my favorite part.”

Tahereh Mafi
“The man is moody as hell.”

“I am not moody—”

“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body.

I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world.”

“Hope.

It's like a drop of honey, a field of tulips blooming in the springtime. It's a fresh rain, a whispered promise, a cloudless sky, the perfect punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. And it's the only thing in the world keeping me afloat.”

“He looks immaculate.
Flawless, especially as he stands here among the dirt and destruction, surrounded by the bleakest colors this landscape has to offer. He's a vision of emerald and onyx, silhouetted in the sunlight in the most deceiving way. He could be glowing. That could be a halo around his head. This could be the world's way of making an example out of irony. Because Warner is beautiful in ways even Adam isn't.”

Tahereh Mafi
“His chest, heaving harder this time. His words, almost gasping this time. “You destroy me.”
I am falling to pieces in his arms.
My fists are full of unlucky pennies and my heart is a jukebox demanding a few nickels and my head is flipping quarters heads or tails heads or tails heads or tails heads or tails
“Juliette,” he says, and he mouths the name, barely speaking at all, and he’s pouring molten lava into my limbs and I never even knew I could melt straight to death.
“I want you,” he says. He says “I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you.” He says it like it’s a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says “It’s never been a secret. I’ve never tried to hide that from you. I’ve never pretended I wanted anything less.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want so many things,” he whispers. “I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time.” His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says “I want this up.” He tugs on the waist of my pants and says “I want these down.” He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, “I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it’s racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never,” he says, he breathes, “never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He’s kissing me like the world is rolling right off a cliff, like he’s trying to hang on and he’s decided to hold on to me, like he’s starving for life and love and he’s never known it could ever feel this good to be close to someone. Like it’s the first time he’s ever felt anything but hunger and he doesn’t know how to pace himself, doesn’t know how to eat in small bites, doesn’t know how to do anything anything anything in moderation.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to trust but it scares the skin off my bones.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend," he says. "The one who will memorise the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette-”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm not interested in waiting around and risking the who-knows and the what-ifs and the huge regrets. I want to feel all of it....”
tags: feel

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to scream, sometimes, I want to collapse, sometimes, I want to die knowing that I've known what it was like to live with this kiss, this heart, this soft soft explosion that makes me feel like I've taken a sip of the sun...”
tags: love

Tahereh Mafi
“Invisible guns, huh?" Kenji smirks. "That's cute. I don't think I ever went through that phase.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Nothing in this life will ever make sense to me but I can't help but try to collect the change and hope it's enough to pay for our mistakes.”

Tahereh Mafi
“On the darkest days you have to search for a spot of brightness, on the coldest days you have to seek out a spot of warmth; on the bleakest days you have to keep your eyes onward and upward and on the saddest days you have to leave them open to let them cry. To then let them dry. To give them a chance to wash out the pain in order to see fresh and clear once again.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He's kissing me like he's lost me and he's found me and I'm slipping away and he's never going to let me go. I want to scream, sometimes, I want to collapse, sometimes, I want to die knowing that I've known what it was like to live with this kiss, this heart, this soft soft explosion that makes me feel like I've taken a sip of the sun, like I've eaten clouds 8,9, and 10.”

Tahereh Mafi
“My heart is pounding so hard I'm surprised it's not bleeding.”

Tahereh Mafi
“It's only when he finds my face that he meets my gaze; I step into the sea of blue in his eyes, dive right in and drown.”

Tahereh Mafi
“It's hot rain and humid days and broken thermostats. It's screaming and raging steam engines and wanting to take your clothes off just to feel a breeze. It's the kind of kiss that makes you realize oxygen is overrated.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I have officially, absolutely collapsed inside.”

Tahereh Mafi
“You know there's a different side of yourself you don't want to recognize, a side you don't want to see in the daylight. You spend your whole life doing everything to push it down and away, out of sight, out of mind. You pretend that a piece of yourself doesn't exist. You live like that for a long time. For a long time, you're safe. And then you're not.”

Tahereh Mafi
“What I really want to say is who the hell are you and who are you to decide who gets to die. Who are you to decide who should be killed. Who are you tell me which father I should destroy and which child I should orphan and which mother should be left without her son, which brother should be left without a sister, which grandmother should spend the rest of her life crying in the early hours of the morning because they body of her grandchild was buried in the ground before her own.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Juliette, please, tell me what I'm supposed to do. How am I supposed to feel? It's one shitty thing right after another and I'm trying to be okay--God, I'm trying so hard but it's really freaking difficult and I miss--I miss you, I miss you so much it's killing me.”

“You can go to hell!"
"Just because I'm going to hell doesn't mean you'll ever deserve her.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm wondering how many more mistakes I'll have to make before things finally fall into place. If they ever will.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I want to study the secrets tucked between his elbows and the whispers caught behind his knees. I want to follow the lines of his silhouette with my eyes and the tips of my fingers. I want to trace rivers and valleys along the curved muscles of his body.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Tattoos, for example, are very hard to forget. I think there's something about the impermanence of life these days that makes it necessary to etch ink into our skins. It reminds us that we've been marked by the world, that we're still alive. That we'll never forget.”

Tahereh Mafi
“He's looking so deeply into my eyes that I'm surprised I haven't buckled under the intensity and I realize then, right in this moment I realize that everything about him is intense. Nothing about him is manageable or easy to compartmentalize. He's too much. Everything about him is too much. His emotions, his actions, his anger, his aggression. His love.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I wonder at my incapacity for easy banter, smooth conversation, empty words to fill awkward moments. I don't have a closet filled with umms and ellipses ready to insert at the beginnings and ends of sentences. I don't know how to be a verb, an adverb, any kind of modifier. I'm a noun through and through.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Loneliness is a strange sort of thing.
It creeps on you, quiet and still, sits by your side in the dark, strokes by your hair as you sleep. It wraps itself around your bones, squeezing so tight you almost can't breathe. It leaves lies in your heart, lies next to you at night, leaches the light out of every corner. It's a constant companion, clasping your hand only to yank you down when you're struggling to stand up.
You wake up in the morning and wonder who you are. You fail to fall asleep at night and tremble in your skin. You doubt you doubt you doubt.
do I
don't I
should I
why won't I
And even when you're ready to let go. When you're ready to break free. When you're ready to be brand-new. Loneliness is an old friend stand beside you in the mirror, looking you in the eye, challenging you to live your life without it. You can't find the words to fight yourself, to fight the words screaming that you're not enough never enough never ever enough.
Loneliness is a bitter, wretched companion.
Sometimes it just won't let go.”

Tahereh Mafi
“And he leans in, so carefully. Breathing
and not breathing and hearts beating
between us and he’s so close, he’s so close and I can’t feel my legs anymore. I can’t feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere,filling everything and he whispers
“Please.”
He says “Please don’t shoot me for this.”
And he kisses me.
His lips are softer than anything I've ever known, soft like a first snowfall, like biting into cotton candy, like melting and floating and being weightless in water. It’s sweet, it’s
so effortlessly sweet.
And then it changes.
“Oh God—”
He kisses me again, this time stronger,
desperate, like he has to have me, like he’s dying to memorize the feel of my lips against his own. The taste of him is making me crazy; he’s all heat and desire and peppermint and I want more. I've just begun reeling him in, pulling him into me when he breaks away.
He’s breathing like he’s lost his mind andhe’s looking at me like something has brokeninside of him, like he’s woken up to find that
his nightmares were just that, that they never existed, that it was all just a bad dream that felt far too real but now he’s awake and he’s safe and everything is going to be okay and
I’m falling.
I’m falling apart and into his heart and I’m a disaster.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm falling apart and into his heart and I'm a disaster.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm checking my pockets for spare words and sentences but I'm finding none, not an adverb, not a preposition or even a dangling participle because there doesn't exist a single response to such an outlandish request.”

“You destroy me."
"Juliette," he says and he mouths the name, barely speaking at all, and he's pouring molten lava into my limbs and I never even knew I could melt straight to death.
"I want you," he says. He says "I want all of you. I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you." He says it like it's a lit cigarette lodged in his throat, like he wants to dip me in warm honey and he says "It's never been a secret. I've never tried to hide that from you. I've never pretended I wanted anything less."
"You-you said you wanted f-friendship-"
"Yes," he says, he swallows, "I did. I do. I do want to be your friend. He nods and I register the slight movement in the air between us. "I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend," he says. "The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette-"
"No," I gasp. "Don't-don't s-say that-"
"I want so many things," he whispers. "I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time." His fingers graze the hem of my top and he says "I want this up." He tugs on the waist of my pants and says "I want these down." He touches the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, "I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it's racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never," he says, he breathes, "never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want all of it."
And I drop dead, all over the floor.
"Juliette."
I can't understand why I can still hear him speaking because I'm dead, I'm already dead, I've died over and over and over again.
He swallows, hard, his chest heaving, his words a breathless, shaky whisper when he says "I'm so-I'm so desperately in love with you-”

Tahereh Mafi
“Warner’s head is on my lap. His face is smooth and calm and peaceful in a way I've never seen it and I almost reach out to stroke his hair before I remember exactly how awkward this actually is.”

Tahereh Mafi
“But he grins, so brilliantly, not even paying attention. “I love it when you say my name,” he says. “I don’t even know why.”
“Warner isn't your name,” I point out. “Your name is *****.”
His smile is wide, so wide. “God, I love that.”
“Your name?”
“Only when you say it.”
“*****? Or Warner?”
His eyes close. He tilts his head back against the wall. Dimples.”

Tahereh Mafi
“We can hide in a cupboard under the stairs our whole life and it'll still find us. Death will show up wearing an invisible cloak and it will wave a magic wand and whisk us away when we least expect it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Incredible. He left me bleeding all over his living floor. What a nice little present for his son to clean up. What a nice little lesson for his son to learn. Fall in love, and you get to watch your love get shot.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I can’t feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere,filling everything and he whispers
“Please.”
He says “Please don’t shoot me for this.”
And he kisses me.”

“I'm the train.
I'm the one careening out of control.
Because sometime you see yourself- you see yourself the way you could be- the way you might be if things were different. And if you look too closely, what you see will scare you, it'll make you wonder what you might do given the opportunity. You know there's a different side of yourself you don't want to recognize, a side you don't want to see in the daylight. You spend your whole life doing everything to push it down and away, out of sight, out of mind. You pretend that a piece of yourself doesn't exist.
You live like that for a long time.
For a long time, you're safe.
And then you're not.”

Tahereh Mafi
“If you're not happy, just leave. Don't cheat. Doesn't take a genius to figure that shit out. - Kenji”

03/19/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/19/2014 page 142
30.0% "AHHHHHH!! I knew it. I freaking knew it. Warner wasn't hallucinating at the end of Destroy Me! Juliette was really there. Omg I'm fangirling but only on the inside because I'm in guitar class and I can't just-- TEAM WARNER!"
03/19/2014 page 322
69.0% "Warner is my soulmate. I love him so much. He's better than Adam"
03/19/2014 page 394
85.0% ""I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend...The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette--" OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG" 2 comments
03/19/2014 page 394
85.0% ""I want to know where to touch you," he says. "I want to know how to touch you. I want to know how to convince you to design a smile just for me." I feel his chest rising, falling, up and down and up and down and "Yes," he says. "I do want to be your friend." He says "I want to be your best friend in the entire world." I can't think. I can't breathe"
03/19/2014 page 396
85.0% "I can't feel my fingers or the cold or the emptiness of this room because all I feel is him, everywhere, filling everything and he whispers "Please." He says "Please don't shoot me for this." And he kisses me. ///AHHHHHHHH MY HEART HELP ME OMY"
03/19/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Max (new) - rated it 4 stars

Max I like no. 5

message 2: by Chloe (new) - added it

Chloe Kenji can't touch her, remember she touched him when they first arrive and she freaked out when she couldn't find Adam?

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley I'm pretty sure 2 is going to happen

Kimberly Martin I completely agree! I've been team kenji from the start! Nice predictions btw...if only that would happen...

Lucille Chloe wrote: "Kenji can't touch her, remember she touched him when they first arrive and she freaked out when she couldn't find Adam?"

I think only the people who loves her can touch her. And Kenji doesn't love her... yet.

Kimberly wrote: "I completely agree! I've been team kenji from the start! Nice predictions btw...if only that would happen..."

Thanks, Kimberly! We'll have Kenji all for ourselves if it doesn't! ;D

Irina "My eyebrows perched above 2 wide eyes not blue not green but somewhere in between."

Chantelle OH YEAH!! SOMEONE ON MY SIDE!! TEAM KENJI/ WARNER

Bianca I just wanted to say how ironic it is that you "don't want 2 and 5 to happen" but they're the only hypotheses you made that came true :-P

Lucille Omg! You're right, haha! That's hilarious! I guess I owe it all to Tahereh Mafi's plot twists. I never would've shipped Warner and Juliette without Destroy Me. XD

Bianca I think I would have. Destroy Me was like an energy boost, speeding up the process. And while I adore Adam and yeah, Juliette and Adam make a lot of sense, we both know that Juliette and Warner need each other. They don't depend on each other. They're completely their own people, two people coming together. My heart breaks for Adam but WARNER! That Aaron kills me ugh

Sherlai Omg TEAM KENJI Idk but, I'm sort of team Kenji in a way that I don't ship him with Juliette. I just really like him plus-- CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW WARNER IS JUST SO DAMN ADORABLE WITH THOSE DIMPLES AHHHH