Fari 's Reviews > Wicked Fox

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, arc-physical, book-1, genre-fantasy, genre-young-adult

Rating: 3

Thank you so much to Penguin Canada for the ARC~~

During my two-year-long reading slump, I got very, very much into K-pop and learned a bit about Korean culture. However, I realized when I came across this novel, I don’t think I’ve actually ever read anything that takes place in Korea. What better way to change that than with a story about a gumiho?

I loved how prominent the setting and culture was in this book. Seoul came alive around you as they flitted from Han River to Namsan.

It was incredibly interesting to see certain Korean speech patterns or phrases appear here (ex. Please take care of me). I notice this whenever I read books based in South Asian culture (The Candle and the Flame or When Dimple Met Rishi were very familiar to me for this reason) but I usually can’t pick it up when reading about other cultures, so I’m really fascinated by the experience my exposure to Korean culture has allowed. Anyway, this is interesting to nobody other than myself but I’m honestly losing my mind.

I sorta liked the characters. They were likeable, albeit superb at making stupid decisions. Minyoung’s battle with her humanity and monstrous sides was interesting to witness and Jihoon was a cheeky bastard who I can definitely sympathize with. Their romance was cute if you were into it but I didn’t care all that much for it.

There were a few side characters as well but I didn’t really feel much toward them. I just couldn’t really connect to or care about them.

This was a character and romance driven fantasy, so I hope I come to love them more in the next books.

The novel had a satisfying enough ending and I almost thought I was safe. “10 pages left and the story is wrapping up nicely with a complete arc. Maybe it won’t be excruciating to wait for the next book.” Oh Fari, what a fool you’ve been. 10 pages can change a lot and that ending definitely has me anticipating what’s next~

---

That sure was a ride! I can't believe I'm gonna have to wait extra long for the next book, ah the perils of reading the ARC :((

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Fox.

March 19, 2019 – Shelved