Laken's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

F 50x66
Feb 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Laken Liked

Veronica Roth
“Who is he when he isn't Dauntless, isn't an instructor, isn't Four, isn't anything in particular?

Whoever he is, I like him. It's easier to admit that to myself now, in the dark, after all that just happened. He is not sweet or gentle or particularly kind. But he is smart and brave, and even though he saved me, he treated me like I was strong. That is all I need to know.”

Veronica Roth
“Do the elevators work?" I ask Uriah, as quietly as I can. "Sure they do." says Zeke, rolling his eyes, "You think I'm stupid enough not to come here early and turn on the emergency generator?"
"Yeah," says Uriah. "I kinda do.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of water all around us. And we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.”

Veronica Roth
“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

Veronica Roth
“He told me once to be brave, and though I have stood still while knives spun toward my face and jumped off a roof, I never thought I would need bravery in the small moments of my life. I do.”

Veronica Roth
“Human reason can excuse any evil; that is why it's so important that we don't rely on it.”

Veronica Roth
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.”

Veronica Roth
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

Veronica Roth
“But please, when you see an opportunity…” He presses his hand to my cheek, cold and strong, and tilts my head up so I have to look at him. His eyes glint. They almost look predatory. “Ruin them.”

“Lies require commitment.”

Veronica Roth
“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”

Veronica Roth
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”

Veronica Roth
“If you are really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail. And if it does, you are a coward.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“It isn’t right to wish pain on other people just because they hurt me first.”
tags: pain

Veronica Roth
“We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our world so that the good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you.”

Veronica Roth
“We've all started to put down the virtues of the other factions in the process of bolstering our own. I don't want to do that. I want to be brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest." He clears his throat. "I continually struggle with kindness.”

Veronica Roth
“Valuing knowledge above all else results in a lust for power, and that leads men into dark and empty places.”

Veronica Roth
“Maybe there's more we all could have done, but we just have to let the guilt remind us to do better next time.”

Veronica Roth
“Those who seek peace above all else, they say, will always deceive to keep the water calm.”

Veronica Roth
“Yeah, well," I say, "I left Abnegation because I wasn't selfless enough, no matter how hard I tried to be."
"That's not entirely true." He smiles at me. "That girl who let someone throw knives at her to spare a friend, who hit my dad with a belt to protect me-that selfless girl, that's not you?"...
"You've been paying close attention, haven't you?"
"I like to observe people/"
"Maybe you were cut out for Candor, Four, because you're a terrible liar.”

Veronica Roth
“I like to think I'm helping them by hating them. I'm reminding them that they aren't God's gift to humankind.”

Veronica Roth
“Suicide to them is an act of selfishness. Someone who is truly selfless does not think of himself often enough to desire death.”

Veronica Roth
“My father says that those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it. That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it.”

05/27/2016 marked as: read