Kayla Brunson's Reviews > Girl Gone Viral

Girl Gone Viral by Arvin Ahmadi

liked it
bookshelves: arc, science-fiction, young-adult, read-in-2019

So I really don’t know what to think about this one. I was going in thinking I was going to get Warcross vibes and a really kickass heroine. While I did get some Warcross vibes, that’s really the only part that I got.

"Humans are experts in sharing. It started with cave paintings and evolved into books, tweets, virtual reality -- who knows what’s next. But the pieces of ourselves that we share are just that. Pieces."

This book takes place in the far future where even iPhones are a joke of the past. EVERYTHING is technology based. The worldbuilding here was so cool and very thorough. It was cool to read about everything Ahmadi thought to place in this book.

The most fascinating part of this book was how scary dependent the world was on technology. Things from self-driving cars to robots at home that know your likes and dislikes almost better than you do. I honestly was getting afraid at how far they would take it.

Also, while most people love the way technology has changed their everyday lives, there are people who want to take the world back to how it was before. Those people are called Luds and they are fighting for what they feel are a better world.

"What you tech types need to understand is that humans are the dominant species."

Basically, if I were to rate this book on just the worldbuilding how high tech everything is, then I would rate it very highly. What dragged the book down for me was our main character, Opal. I didn’t find her likable at all. I thought she was a terrible friend, manipulative, and selfish. True, she’s out for answers but the way she treated the people she claimed to care about irked me.

With the ending of this book, it seems as if there will be another book after this. I don’t think I have it in me to read any more about Opal and her quest against the Luds.

TW: cyber-bullying, depression, alcoholism, and talks of suicide.

I received an ARC via NetGalley for an honest review.
Quotes were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Gone Viral.

March 19, 2019 – Shelved
March 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2019 – Started Reading
May 13, 2019 –
22.0% "Pretty good so far. Definitely getting some Warcross vibes."
May 13, 2019 – Finished Reading