Lauren's Reviews > Hidden Bodies

Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes

it was ok
bookshelves: female-author, reviewed

This is a fun read (as "fun" as a book about a creepy, misogynistic, paranoid serial killer can be) but unfortunately it doesn't measure up to the shockingly compelling first book in the duology (?). "You," is intriguing because of its second-person narration ("Hidden Bodies" is straightforward first-person) and the grey-area morality (by this point, we all know just how bad a guy Joe is, and only getting worse). In the sequel, Joe continues to proclaim his boredom with all the things vapid people find cool while simultaneously dropping endless pop culture references. Perhaps the novel wants us to recognise this hypocrisy, but it didn't feel particularly self-aware. And like, I get that Joe is super charming and charismatic and sneaky and all that, but for literally every person he ever encounters to almost immediately fall for his tricks (or on his dick, in the case of pretty much every woman in the book) takes away the uncomfortable likability he exudes in the first book; why should he pretend to be likable when he doesn't even have to try? Still... it was a fun read, I can't deny that. I enjoyed it a lot more than this review might suggest. It just didn't give me the creep-chills the way You did, and for that I was disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Bodies.

March 18, 2019 – Started Reading