Chana's Reviews > Gloria

Gloria by Keith Maillard

Loved the atmosphere, the exquisite rendition of the 1950's. Everything was about to change drastically, but hadn't yet. Gloria is a very smart girl but her personality is a construct created after brutal mistreatment at boarding school. She has a "secret watcher" who tells her what to do and say in stressful situations. She wears her beautiful clothes and make up to create illusion. She is very successful in many ways. The last year of college and the summer after she graduates from college are very difficult times for her. She betrays the young man who loves her, she puts herself in danger repeatedly, she fails to confide in her parents when doing so would have made sense. Her inner world is dreamy and confusing, it is hard to know who is real and who is made up to protect Gloria's fragile personality. She has to decide if she is going to take the easy route of marriage to a rich suitor or if she is going to fulfill her academic goals by going to Columbia for post graduate work.
My favorite character was her thesis professor, I loved what he had to say about disguises. I was also able to relax when Gloria was with him as he was a safe person and his mind matched hers so well. See, I spent a lot of time worrying about Gloria. When she finally gets the courage to defeat Mr. Dougherty, her method of doing so and the link to the poetry; well that was pretty magnificent.
It took me a long time to read this book, I was often upset by Gloria's decisions or something that happened to her and I would have to put the book down so I could relax away from Gloria. The author succeeds in making Gloria more than a character in a book; whatever the reader's personality, the places of likeness between reader and character make Gloria live in her reader.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gloria.

March 18, 2019 – Shelved