Tatiana's Reviews > The Iliad

The Iliad by Gareth Hinds

liked it
bookshelves: 3, 2019, starred-2019-done, graphic-novels, ya, classics

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have gotten through this one in the original format. Hinds cut out a lot of stuff, but still 70% of the story was dedicated to describing which warrior died and how, plus what was plundered and fought over, and what was sacrificed to one god or another. I skimmed over those parts.

Even in such abridgement, I did get a good picture of Greek life though. The emphasis on warrior "glory” (i. e. desecrating enemy corpses, stealing armor off the dead bodies, raping and enslaving women, fighting over every little offense), the view of women as property, etc. . (This last part highlighted to me exactly why Barker was compelled to give voice to the women of Trojan War the The Silence of the Girls. Too bad she failed so spectacularly at doing it.)

The most interesting for me was trying to understand the interplay of gods and "fate." I am not sure I fully comprehend why the gods even wasted SO MUCH time interfering, if ultimately they all knew what the end would be. Was it just for kicks? To distract themselves from the boredom of their immortal lives?

And finally, I see why the notion of Achilles/Patroclus romance is so irresistible. By far the most emotional part of The Iliad was the one of Achilles throwing himself around in grief after Patroclus's death. I understand this particular ship much better now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iliad.

March 18, 2019 – Shelved