Dj's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Feb 10, 2012

bookshelves: must-read, series-continuation

What? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 2013?! That is completly unnecessary. There's also 4 books which IS NOT a good sign.

OKAY so I saw on a website: book two IS about red-riding hood but it's ALSO focuses on Cinder as she tries to escape Levana and learn her history. But it also introduces a new character named Scarlet who lives in south France whose grandmother has disapeared. - which is good because I would have cried if the book hadn't continued with Cinder.

OKAY OKAY: I see that the four books will focus on different fairytale but it's still Cinder's story. Now I'm really interested in the other girls retellings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

February 10, 2012 – Shelved
February 13, 2012 – Shelved as: must-read
February 13, 2012 – Shelved as: series-continuation
Started Reading
June 10, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria the next book is about red riding hood which is annoying cause cinder isnt going to be continued so u wont know the ending

message 2: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj wow. that's some crap.

message 3: by Lal (new)

Lal Well it doesn't have to be like that. It can continue the fairy-tale theme, and switch main POV characters from Cinder to Scarlet and still continue the main plot of Cinder revolting against Levana and becoming the Lunar queen. For example: what if Scarlet's grandmother is the European lady who took care of Cinder when she was a little girl? Then book 2 would give a lot more details about Cinders past, when she first came to Earth. Book 4 is name Winter, after Levana's stepdaughter, who I'm pretty sure is supposed to be Snow White. So that one definitely continues both the plot and the fairy tale theme.

message 4: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj Lal wrote: "Well it doesn't have to be like that. It can continue the fairy-tale theme, and switch main POV characters from Cinder to Scarlet and still continue the main plot of Cinder revolting against Levana..."

yeah! I started thinking like that after I saw that Cinder would still be in it. I misunderstood at first that just because there's a new fairytale/main character that Cinder would still be continuing her story and everything. The first part was me fangirling about Prince Kai and Cinder, but now I am knowledgeable. Lol. And ya, I never thought about the title of the fourth book. Winter. That's interesting.

message 5: by Alein (new) - added it

Alein Nice theory!

message 6: by G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

G. MA I just learned there are Beauty and the Beast undertones in Book 2 via twitter. YayYayYayYayYay! I hoped she would work my favorite fairytale in there somewhere!

Ryan Wait so does that mean that the lunar chronicles are a combination of fairy-tales and scifi..
Does that mean Cinder was about Cinderella??

It looks to me tht red-riding hood might be like cinder?? Considering tht she was what she was (just saying tht so I don't ruin potential readers experience)

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯ I heard there is supposed to be an escaped convict involved too which of course would be the Wolf!

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯ Cress is Rapunzel and the story take place on moon

message 10: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj Ryannn wrote: "Wait so does that mean that the lunar chronicles are a combination of fairy-tales and scifi..
Does that mean Cinder was about Cinderella??

It looks to me tht red-riding hood might be like cinder??..."

Basically yes. Cinder was about Cinderella, except that unlike in Cinderella where she needs the prince to become a princess Cinder is a princess on her own. Which I like, it's a win for the feminist movement. :D What do you mean Red-riding hood will be like Cinder?

Hermione I'm kinda skeptical, too. Hope she can pull it off with all the characters' stories AND Cinder's. I would hate for her to ruin such an amazing book with millions of other characters and millions of other conflicts. :P

Jenny Before she started writing any of the books Marissa had the series pretty well planned out. Cinder is a main character in all the books, but each book introduces another female lead.

message 13: by Hermione (last edited May 15, 2012 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hermione Right, I found that out on her website. But still, usually a book series has one main protagonist, and honestly, I've never read a book with two or three others with their own stories. I guess she could pull it off with POV switches.

I'm probably contemplating this because I've never read something like it before. xD Definitely a different, unique thing to look forward to.

Tracy I Hope we are Still alive by then

Meghan What? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 2013?! That is completly unnecessary. There's also 4 books which IS NOT a good sign
Well, considering Cinder was released in 2012, I think a book a year isn't that bad. And Marissa had all four books planned before she published Cinder, so you're in good hands. Honestly, four years is nothing for a series. Look at Harry Potter...or better yet, look at the Wheel of Time. Then try complaining about how long it will take.

message 16: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj Meghan wrote: "What? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 2013?! That is completly unnecessary. There's also 4 books which IS NOT a good sign

ha! Yea I know, but it's no fun to be completely logical in these situations! I was just venting because I had just finished Cinder. I did the same thing with Cassandra Clare, then when it came out I waited to read it for 5 months because I was so swamped in school work. But hey, the release date is getting closer everyday.

Caitlin Basgall Ya and each of the other books come out in different years...so Scarlet is 2013, Cress 2014, and Winter 2015 :( I'm so upset!

message 18: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E it says in the first book why her grandmother is missing...

Charlie Ika-Heimonen I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.