Lynda Tatad's Reviews > Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress

Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress by Kyra Davis

liked it

This is the first Sophie Katz novel that seemed to drag for me. It started out with a bang, as Sophie's friend Maryann tells Sophie and Dena, her cousin, about her engagement to Monty. When Sophie and Maryann step out of the room, Dena is shot!

From there, is when it started to drag. Since Sophie is an ameteur sleuth, and a mystery writer, she feels she can do a better job than the police, and her private investigator boyfriend Anatoly, in solving the crime. She keeps secrets from Anatoly, since he keeps his past a secret from her, and she blows things out of proportion when she discovers he can speak Spanish! Especially when more important matters should have been discussed at the time. She got on my nerves in this book, and it makes me wonder why Anatoly stays with her!

I was bummed that Marcus (her gay hairstylist friend) wasn't as much a part of the story, but Sophie's sister Leah was great as she wanted to try and get Maryann and Monty to hire her as their wedding consultant, and the lengths she will go to to get the job!

There were a couple fun lines that brought a smile to my face, and an outright chuckle (wait til you get to the comment about the Hokey Pokey!), here and there, but since danger hit closer to home... it was a more serious story than the previous ones. Only Maryann's and Monty's wedding ideas helped lighten the mood a bit.

The ending brought up another mystery that will probably lead into the next book. That big tidbit dropped will really effect what may happen in Sophie's and Anatoly's relationship! Unfortuantely, I'm not sure if I really want to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress.

February 9, 2012 – Started Reading