Chris's Reviews > The Sibyl

The Sibyl by Pär Lagerkvist

Feb 10, 2012

Read from February 10 to 18, 2012

I feel that, in the couple of days since I finished reading this, that I am still not completely sure what I take away from it. The novel embodies many contradictions that feel hard to resolve, particularly that God is both love and evil, and that God is also completely impossible for us to understand because it is not human, and cannot be judged by human standards.
I do like the idea here that nothing is ever forever, even if the overseeing power has called it so. That one is cursed does not mean anything, other than you may have a long way to go before you can be saved. This has the same ramifications to me as Revelations, in that the damned will not always be damned, which gives the sense that God, in the Christian sense, is eventually forgiving of everyone.
But then, the Sybil does not believe in this Christian God. She is instead ruled by a nature god, one prone to irrational and uncaring lusts. Hence her belief about God being incomprehensible. That Christians try to portray God as having some human characteristics is completely alien to what a god would be in terms of traditional belief. It is the only way to explain the kind of unrealistic expectations made upon religious people.
Anyway, the fact that I am still thinking about the possible meanings of this book is a good thing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sibyl.

Quotes Chris Liked

Pär Lagerkvist
“Bitter, too, to be forced to acknowledge in one's heart how little love has to do with kindness.”
Pär Lagerkvist, The Sibyl