Brenda's Reviews > A Single Woman

A Single Woman by Maggie Christensen

Alasdair MacLeod’s grief over the death of his wife two years earlier felt all encompassing. His two teenage children, Fiona and Robbie coped with the loss of their mother in their own way, while Alasdair’s father-in-law Matt and his wife Bel helped the best they could. Fi belonged to an all girl’s school in Glasgow and idolized the headmistress, Isla Cameron who’d been in that position for the past ten years. Isla was happily single, living in a small flat with her cat Sooty, catching up with her best friend Shona now and then.

With a school trip to France on the agenda for a select few pupils, Fi was desperate to go along. Alasdair met with Isla to discuss the logistics – Fi was wheelchair bound, but if the French au pair accompanied them, Fi could join the trip. As Isla and Alasdair got to know one another, they both realized they had much in common. They both wanted companionship and friendship – but was Alasdair ready for a relationship? And did Isla want to give up her hard-won independence?

A Single Woman by Aussie author Maggie Christensen is loosely linked to The Good Sister and Isobel's Promise, and it was wonderful to catch up with Bel and Matt, Alasdair’s children’s grandparents, again. This author’s characters are always so real; people who live next door; people we know and love. I thoroughly enjoyed A Single Woman and love the way Maggie writes about the older generation, with ease and aplomb. I’m already looking forward to this author’s next. Highly recommended.

With thanks to the author for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Single Woman.

March 16, 2019 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Started Reading
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: own-read
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
May 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Harcombe Good review Brenda. Convinced me.

Brenda Thanks Dale. I always enjoy Maggie's writing :)

Kathleen Nice review, Brenda. I enjoyed this book, too.

Brenda Thanks Kathleen - I've enjoyed all her work :)

Kathleen Brenda, Maggie Christensen is a wonderful author:)

Brenda She certainly is!!