Christine's Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, romance, on-deck, aaa
Recommended to Christine by: Net Galley ad, Michelle review

4.5 stars (rounded to 4 stars)

This was a sweet find. I would not have picked this book to read if not for several of my trusted Goodreads friends who gave it high marks. When my number came up in the library queue, I briefly thought about canceling and moving ahead to my next book, but what the heck, I felt like something different, and this book was perfect for that.

Our protagonist is Annika (rhymes with Monica). Annika is different. In fact, some call her weird. Annika feels she must rely on others to guide her through the nuances, well, actually everything, in life. She feels pretty helpless and worthless, especially in social situations, and this has led to anxiety as well. She feels she is only good at one thing—chess. It is over a reluctant game of chess that she meets Jonathan. Despite Annika’s ”weirdness”, Johnathan is attracted to her. Annika and Jonathan alternate as narrators of their story, which is told in two time frames ten years apart.

What I loved:

-Both of these characters. Very much. So easy to root like hell for them.

-The two timelines, and how the author tells the story by weaving in and out of 1991 and 2001.

-Watching Annika stay the same person, yet transition in so many ways.

-Learning more about and better understanding people like Annika.

-The themes of being yourself and making the very best of that and second chances.

-It’s worth repeating--I absolutely adored these characters.

What I didn’t love so much:

-I’m not sure the drama towards the end of the book is totally necessary, but it did hold me captive.

-I am also not sure that Annika doesn’t overachieve during said drama. Again, I was charmed anyway.

Would I recommend this book? Oh yes! I am so glad I found this book. The pages essentially turned themselves, and I was well-rewarded with all the feels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

March 16, 2019 – Shelved
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
March 20, 2019 – Shelved as: on-deck
March 20, 2019 – Shelved as: aaa
May 6, 2019 – Started Reading
May 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Marialyce So happy you liked this charming story. I am glad you found this book too!

Christine Marialyce wrote: "So happy you liked this charming story. I am glad you found this book too!"

🥰

Diane S ☔ I liked it too, but also wondered about the dramatics at the end. Terrific review, Christine.

Christine Thanks, Diane. Such a wonderful little gem.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I'll have to read this. Great review Christine!

Christine Holly wrote: "I'll have to read this. Great review Christine!"

Thank you, Holly. It’s definitely worth a go.

message 7: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Happy to see that this was such a rewarding read for you, Christine. The reviews by our mutual friends certainly had me convinced as well about something I might have otherwise overlooked.

Loved your review!!

Christine Thanks, Mike. That’s the beauty of Goodreads—all our amazing discoveries thanks to our friends from all over the world,

Nadia Wonderful review, Christine! This book caught me by surprise as well.

message 10: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Christine!!😉💖

message 11: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fabulous review, Christine 💖

message 12: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Lovely review Christine. Always nice when you discover something different now and again :)

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise Wilson Terrific review, Christine!!

message 14: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Wonderful review! Definitely on my list!

message 15: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review, Christine.

Christine Thank you all my kind friends. I hope some of you get to read this one!

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Christine! So glad you read and liked this one!

Christine Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Christine! So glad you read and liked this one!"

Thank you, Susanne! She has another one with great ratings that I hope to get to as well.

message 19: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Clemence Christine, I am happy you got the chance to read this one! It was really good and I'm glad you got the experience. :) GoodReads is such a great way to meet new books. :)

Christine Thanks for the kind words, Erin, and yes, you are so right!

Jonetta I’m really happy you decided to go ahead and read this one. Wonderful review, Christine💜

message 22: by Christine (last edited May 12, 2019 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine Thanks, Jonetta, me too! It’s a real winner.

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts You wrote a very nice review, Christine. Thanks.

Christine Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate your nice comments.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Wonderful review. I'm so glad you enjoyed this Christine : )

Christine Thanks, Kelly!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Chris! Everyone seems to love this book. I am really curious about this one. I am going to see if its on Overdrive.

Christine Thanks, MB. I loved it. Not 100% sure it’s in your wheelhouse, but I’m curious to what you would think.

message 29: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Sounds like a good one to maybe get my reading mojo back, Christine!

Michelle Loved your review, Christine!! So glad you enjoyed it :)

message 31: by Jean (new)

Jean Sounds like a delightful change of pace!

Christine Thank you Chris, Michelle, and Jean. It is definitely a good one to mix in with the thrillers and historical fiction.