kat's Reviews > Foucault's Pendulum

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2015

I like the story, but it took me forever to get through. This book is almost impenetrably esoteric, even on Kindle where I could look up words in place and attempt to translate the numerous French and Latin quotations. I'm honestly not sure that I ever actually finished the paperback version that's been on my shelves for years.

Still, it's a thought-provoking and troubling book about the human search for -- and invention of -- meaning. It was certainly one of my first introductions to the concept of apophenia and fed the fuel of my teenage obsession with conspiracy theories.

When I first encountered this book, I thought the difficulty of the text was an indication of its worth. Now I think it is a good story despite how much work it is to read, and it certainly prefigured and influenced many lesser stories, like The Da Vinci Code. But I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foucault's Pendulum.

Quotes kat Liked

Umberto Eco
“I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.”
Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum