Stacy's Reviews > When She Woke

Feb 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian
Read from March 06 to 16, 2012

The story takes place in a future I wouldn't want to live in. The ultraconservatives have taken over the political system and merged it with their religion. Roe v Wade has been overturned and 'sanctity of life' laws are in place. Women are raised to be servient helpmeets to husbands. I don't support any of these ideas yet the book still appealed to me. It sounded so much like proselytizing but at the same time had a feeling of well-defined fiction that I often found myself wondering what Hillary Jordan's actual, personal views are. I decided not to google it as I decided that knowing would change my outlook on the book and I wanted to see if this balance between fiction and belief could be sustained and I theorized that the end would give it away.

Why two stars? It's more of a 2 1/2, but Goodreads doesn't allow halves (which I would love to see changed, Goodreads!) but I simply couldn't give it 3. Hannah is simply too sacrificial for me. The constancy of her willingness to absorb and accept all bad things to spare others from needing to endure it was too much for me. She never wavered, never debated, never doubted. At no point did she consider sharing her punishment. I also disliked her feelings toward love. So many books have this theme of 'love endures' or 'love makes it okay' and I simply don't see it. Content with a long-term affair with a powerful married man and NEVER able to speak of it? A secret with no end? Maintaining a love with no contact or hope? And Aidan's hypocrisy was too much for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When She Woke.