Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Mating in Captivity: Reconciling the Erotic and the Domestic

Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel

Several things about the book stand out and I kept nodding my head when reading this book

- when you are initially at the honeymoon stage of a relationship you are learning a lot about each other and that learning about the unknown creates desire. As you get more familiar over time you start knowing most things and the desire slowly diminishes. To create desire you need to have space and do your own activities so you can bring back that desire and unknown.
- schedule time for sex but at the same time you need to bring a sense of eroticism to the relationship. Going to the first point as you are longer and longer in a relationship the more you respect and love the other but this also diminishes desire. Eroticism and discussion of this creates a separate space from the everyday which can again refute the desire.

Essentially a lot of this book is the things we give up in the name of Love or we think in the name of Love but which you give up some of the initial desire.

Overall a good read for people in long running relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mating in Captivity.

Started Reading