Petrik's Reviews > The Blackest Heart

The Blackest Heart by Brian Lee Durfee

bookshelves: owned-physical-books, favorites
Recommended for: Epic fantasy fans

Review copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I'm absolutely stunned by this 960 pages marvel.

Seriously, The Forgetting Moon was awesome already, but The Blackest Heart triumphed over its predecessor in every possible way. I don’t even have words to express how grateful I am that the author sent me these two books, which weren’t even on my radar, to review; it’s truly serendipitous that I found a new ongoing favorite series because of it.

Picture: My signed copy of The Blackest Heart!

The Blackest Heart is the second book in The Five Warrior Angels series by Brian Lee Durfee. Taking place two weeks after the end of The Forgetting Moon, the identities of the five warrior angels have been fully revealed. Or have they? If you think the prophecies trope will only give away the main story, you better reconsider that notion immediately. Unpredictability was actually one of the strongest factors of the plot; what I thought was going to be simple ended up becoming more complex due to insane text manipulation and deception. Upon finishing this book, I honestly have no idea who or which prophecies to believe. Durfee deftly implemented how brutal, complex, and dangerous the differences in faith and religion can be. The result? 960 pages of glorious epic fantasy.

‘“With their faith in confliction religions, humans will someday prey upon themselves, ravish and tear and eat one another alive, like uncontrollable beasts of the underworld.”—The Book of the Betrayer’

The first book took its time with providing the necessary groundwork for the series. Although I loved and consider The Forgetting Moon one of the strongest first installments to an epic fantasy series I’ve come across, there were admittedly a few moments in it where the pacing felt a bit too slow; that’s not the case with The Blackest Heart. In this massive sequel, I was so completely addicted, hooked, and captivated by every single character’s POV that taking a break from reading it became a challenge. Durfee has put the pedal to the metal regarding every single factor to create an outstanding sequel that grew in complexities, tensions, and characterizations. One of the methods that Durfee used to achieve this stunning improvement was by including a new perilous quest undertaken by the Company of Nine, an obvious nod to The Fellowship of the Rings that put a smile upon my face. No need to worry about it being a copycat, the Company of Nine and their quest were more of a great tribute to quest based fantasy; Durfee has input more than enough originality to make this specific quest his own unique take on it.

‘“In the ebbing fires of our smoldering souls, we all of us offer up secrecy and deceit to protect ourselves, to protect our cause. We all of us offer up only partial versions of ourselves and beliefs to the world.”—The Way and Truth of Laijon’

It wasn’t only the story and world that grew larger in scope. The number of characters in the series received the same treatment; there were around 130 character names in the glossary. However, don’t be intimidated by this fact, because Durfee has done a spectacular job of making sure that they were easy to remember by focusing the storytelling on several central characters rather than every single character. The learning curve of this series isn’t like reading Malazan Book of the Fallen; if you’re good with A Song of Ice and Fire you should be good with this series. The characterizations were simply fantastic. The majority of each character’s development was unpredictable. Let’s take one of the side character, Liz Hen, as an example. I despised Liz Hen so much in The Forgetting Moon and the first half of The Blackest Heart; little did I know that Durfee’s talent for characterizations would shine through the most through her character development, and she doesn’t even have a POV chapter. Then there’s Beer Mug, another amazing character who didn’t even have any dialogue because he’s a loyal dog, but my god, the things he did in the name of loyalty and friendship should earn him the treats of gods. Also, excluding new POV chapters, Gault and the Bronachell’s POV received the most improvement.

Because of the terrific characterizations, the brutality and struggles the characters faced became palpable. I feel like it’s getting rarer for me to find an author that tortures their characters this much. The pain and wounds inflicted upon them were written extremely well; the groundwork laid for them in the first book totally worked. I feel like I’ve come to know them as ‘real’ people and beings, and I felt their pain, sadness, fury, and fear. Although I wouldn’t categorize this series as grimdark, the characters do retain their morally grey traits and the story did go in darker directions in this novel; there were close to zero moments of happiness or solace to be found here. Sure, there was some comic relief situations that made me laugh, and the friendship formed between the Company of Nine was heartwarming, but that’s pretty much it. That being said, the morally grey characters were able to light the flame of my empathy and I honestly believe that Durfee has spectacularly struck a fine balance between heroic and grimdark fantasy with The Blackest Heart.

‘”The Triumphant hero of any story should be neither wholly good nor wholly innocent, but should be full of both strength and weakness, righteousness and sin, truth and guilt, for contradictions are most interesting in the human soul.”—The Chivalric Illumination of Raijael’

The action scenes were also improved as the violent and macabre battles have increased in magnitude. The quest that the Company of Nine embarked upon was brutally perilous, the conflict caused by blind beliefs of different faiths was devastating, and the large-scale war that occurred near the end of the book was exhilarating and imaginative in every sense of the word; there’s always a bigger fish that colored the azure sea scarlet. As if I was watching a cinematic dance of death, the harsh wounds inflicted—both physically and mentally—to the bloodstained warriors and victimized innocents due to the terror of war were empathizing and brimming with intensity. Durfee unsheathed the blades of chaos to cut the angelic wings of peace through the continuation of Sør Sevier’s ravaging invasion; the multiple factions’ deadly race to attain the divine weapons became another factor that enhanced the action sequences. Reading about a war that caused colossal casualties being waged in the name of religions resonated with me; seeing the well-written characters fight against each other with grim determination to uphold what they think is right, or maybe just for the sake of survival, made for an enthralling reading experience.

‘Strip faith from the most faithful, belief from the heartless believer, and what are you left with? The angriest and most dangerous of enemies.”—The Angel Stone Codex’

Contrary to some reader’s apprehensions regarding prophecies—they say it made the story easy to guess—in fantasy these days, I found that the multiple prophecies and visions in this series heightened the unpredictability as not everything is what they seem to be. Which one are truth and justice? Which one is lies and betrayal? Which of the prophecies are real? Who, indeed, are the ‘real’ Five Warrior Angels returned? Full of surprises, revelations, and unpredictability, this is an epic fantasy with a prophecy trope done right. Plus, I loved Durfee’s prose. His writings were remarkably vivid, immersive, and flowed really well. Every page left an atmospheric trail that automatically engraved the passing scenes into my memory.

‘“Thus, my greatest fear cometh that the writings of the Last Warrior Angels will eclipse the word-of-mouth stories. Indeed, they will eclipse the ancient symbols once scratched into standing stones, totems, and altars. Words on a scrolled parchment carry import. Words on a page within a bound book carry the weight of a world.”—The Angel Stone Codex’

The distribution of talent was spread equally into factors of importance that tightened and amplified the quality of the novel and series itself; with a savage burst of brilliance in every word, I’m astonished by Durfee’s imagination and its vivid translation to the pages of this tome. The Blackest Heart won my utmost admiration. Durfee has created a majestic sequel that exhibited his gleaming crystallization of pure storytelling skill. The Blackest Heart will definitely be included in my annual Best Books of the Year list; it deserves a crowning achievement for character-driven epic fantasy. The Five Warrior Angels has now been stamped with permanent ink into my list of favorite ongoing series, and it has all the strength to stand tall among other critically acclaimed epic fantasy series. I sincerely hope epic fantasy readers will give this series a go because right now it's criminally underrated. I have no idea how Durfee will top this book and I wait for the arrival of the next book, The Lonesome Crown, with inhuman anticipation.

You can order the book from: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blackest Heart.

March 15, 2019 – Shelved
April 25, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Shreyas (new)

Shreyas Deshpande Great Review Petrik. Already added the series to my tbr pile.

Petrik Shreyas wrote: "Great Review Petrik. Already added the series to my tbr pile."

Thank you, Shreyas! I hope you'll get to it soon! :)

message 3: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir Sounds awesome. I want to start it but, then again, I don't want to wait for the next one. Not to mention the fact that I would probably forget a lot of stuff... Anyway, great review, as always.

Petrik Samir wrote: "Sounds awesome. I want to start it but, then again, I don't want to wait for the next one. Not to mention the fact that I would probably forget a lot of stuff... Anyway, great review, as always."

Thank you, bro! It was pretty awesome, Jody can testify to that too! I totally understand your hesitation though, I definitely have to reread this series again when the next book comes out... Just a matter of choosing which series we decide to sacrifice more of our time with I guess xD

Jody Gonna wait and read your review when I finish, bro! I'm sure it's awesome as always. ;)

Petrik Jody wrote: "Gonna wait and read your review when I finish, bro! I'm sure it's awesome as always. ;)"

Cheers, bro! Looking forward to you finishing it and talking about it! :)

message 7: by Travis (new) - added it

Travis Ah, yes so excited for this series. But the wait for each installment pains me!! But so glad you enjoyed it. Love love love the review!

Petrik Travis wrote: "Ah, yes so excited for this series. But the wait for each installment pains me!! But so glad you enjoyed it. Love love love the review!"

Thank you so much, Travis!! Yeahh it will be the same pain for me but I know it will be worth it! Just another series to add to my ongoing incomplete series! :D

message 9: by ChopinFC (new) - added it

ChopinFC Nice one Petrik! Last time you were this excited about a book was 'Sword of Kaigen', and I couldn't have love it more! Guess I'll have to add this series to my fantasy tbr, hehe.

Petrik ChopinFC wrote: "Nice one Petrik! Last time you were this excited about a book was 'Sword of Kaigen', and I couldn't have love it more! Guess I'll have to add this series to my fantasy tbr, hehe."

Thank you, bro! This one was amazing, a completely different book from The Sword of Kaigen, but still another amazing book to read. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get around to it! :)

message 11: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin Okay, I just bought it :P You convinced me :D

Petrik Kaitlin wrote: "Okay, I just bought it :P You convinced me :D"

You're awesome! I bought Moontide Quartet because of you too btw! :D

message 13: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin :D we can just keep recommending all the things to one another, I'm good with that!

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I really hope I enjoy these books as much as I enjoy your reviews for them!!

Petrik Kaitlin wrote: ":D we can just keep recommending all the things to one another, I'm good with that!"

Absolutely! Can't disagree with that idea! :)

Petrik Andrew wrote: "I really hope I enjoy these books as much as I enjoy your reviews for them!!"

I hope so too, Andrew! it would make my day if you do find them enjoyable! :D

message 17: by Anton (new) - added it

Anton Great review!! This series is rapidly racing up my reading queue based on your recommendations ;)

Petrik Anton wrote: "Great review!! This series is rapidly racing up my reading queue based on your recommendations ;)"

Thank you, Anton! Woohooo! I just hope you'll enjoy it! I still have to read Cameron's Chivalry, but first Traitor Son Cycle this year! :)

message 19: by Anton (new) - added it

Anton Petrik wrote: "Thank you, Anton! Woohooo! I just hope you'll enjoy it! I still have to read Camero..."

I am not holding it against you ;) Your trailblazing unearthed some serious gems already.

But when you got that spare minute - Traitor Son is well worth the time. Even it is just Red Knight as stand-alone

Petrik Anton wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Thank you, Anton! Woohooo! I just hope you'll enjoy it! I still have to read Camero..."

Bu..."

Thanks , man!! Unearthing serious gems gives me joy! xD

I will! Definitely within this year for sure. It's been a long time since I've read a completed series too (I'm in the middle of one but it's Wheel of Time; super long) so Traitor Son Cycle would be a great choice too! I'll let you know when I get to it! :)

message 21: by Barefoot (new)

Barefoot Alex As a new follower to your reviews, I second the notion of your knack for unearthing serious gems. Have had the time of my life reading these titles that I was previously unaware of. Thanks Petrik!!

Petrik Barefoot wrote: "As a new follower to your reviews, I second the notion of your knack for unearthing serious gems. Have had the time of my life reading these titles that I was previously unaware of. Thanks Petrik!!"

Yayyy!!! You're welcome Barefoot (is it okay for me to call you that...? xD), I'll try my best to unearth more gems! It makes me happy hearing you found some amazing books through my review!

kumar shubham another book in want to read :) . Your 5 star rating and review are something I eagerly wait for.

Petrik kumar shubham wrote: "another book in want to read :) . Your 5 star rating and review are something I eagerly wait for."

Awesome, Kumar! Thanks for the kind words. I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did! :)