Susan Mesler-Evans's Reviews > Nimona

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

3195697

bookshelves: favorites, queer-reads

Oh... my God. This book. This frickin' book.

If you like villains, read this book.

If you like shapeshifters, read this book.

If you like pain and suffering and crying, read this book. (You masochistic weirdo, you.)

Nimona is easily one of my favorite fantasy (anti)heroines, and the relationship between her and Lord Blackheart... I swear, it was made to cater to me specifically. Villain and their happy-go-lucky-sidekick? Found families? Friends that blow shit up together? BFFs that won't admit they're BFFs? This is all, to use the scientific term, my SHIT.

I knew within the first chapter that I was going to love this book. I mean, how can you NOT love a heroine who rolls up on the supervillain's lair and just says, "I'm your biggest fan, and I can turn into a shark. Hire me!"

And that ending...

Despite the tears, the comedy in this story is top-notch. As I said to my friend, "It reads like a D&D campaign." Simultaneously skewering and paying tribute to the usual fantasy tropes, this adventure is full of laughs and full of heart.

The characters are really what make this story so special. All three leads - Nimona, Blackheart, and Goldenloin - are far more complex than they first appear, and the relationships between all three feel genuine and real. Nimona in particular is one of the most layered heroines I've read in a long, long time - she's funny, bold, vulnerable, sympathetic, bloodthirsty, loving, and vengeful, all at the same time, and all without losing her spark. If you like your girls morally ambiguous and powerful, Nimona is the gal for you.

Nimona is an absolutely stellar book. Even if you're not normally into graphic novels, PLEASE give this a read. (And scream with me over the fact that we're GETTING A MOVIE NEXT YEAR! From BlueSky Animations, one of the few companies I actually trust with it!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nimona.

March 15, 2019 – Started Reading
March 15, 2019 – Shelved
March 15, 2019 –
page 102
37.5% "This book is an absolute delight so far."
March 15, 2019 –