J.B.'s Reviews > Faerie Tale

Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist

For about 3/4 of this book it was a strong 2 star only for me, then I got to the end and it became a 4 almost 5 star rating. I started this book under the impression it was horror but quickly learned it was definitely a fantasy. I can best describe my five day affair with this story as a love/hate relationship but I think that is what made this a 4 star instead of a 2 star for me. The author managed to suck me in at first where I was genuinely excited about the plot and the characters and I was really enjoying it until I got to around pages 150 to 300. At that point in the story I was bored, I was considering giving up and donating the book and already deciding on my next read. Then something AMAZING happened, the story actually started to pick up and an adventure began.

The characters all seem to be independently wealthy without any need for real employment so majority of the book is just people hanging out and doing whatever they want without the responsibilities us poor folk have, like jobs. That was slightly irritating because it made for a lot of boring pages of random events happening and a lot of baseball talk. I liked that the author gave different perspectives of events from the different characters, I've grown quite fond of some of them especially old Barney. The one part in the book according to a lot of reviews that did it in for some readers was the rape scene which I would like to address. This is my first Feist book so I don't know of other similar scenes in his other books but I feel this one was necessary for the story. It was actually one of the most disturbing things I have read in a long time. In order for the author to really show us the perverse, evil nature of our good friend The Fool I feel poor Gabbie had to be sacrificed. Rape without penetration is still rape and the details of her experience for me as a woman was terrifying. The use of pleasure to disguise pain is truly terrifying to me. Without getting to brutal I think he did a good job setting up this scene and incorporating it's importance to story line.

I don't really want to give much else away because I feel it will ruin the experience for readers if you go in already knowing most of the story. I mainly just wanted to address the rape scene. Yes, it is a boring read at times and yes the book could have been just as good if it was 100 pages less BUT when you finally get to the end and reflect on the entire story it's quite epic. The amount of research he put into writing this is in itself impressive and I can see why it has received a lot of 5 star reviews. For me though it's a four just because I contemplated giving up but I'm very glad I didn't. It has found a home on my book shelf instead of the donate box and the more I sit and replay the adventure I just went on the more I'm liking it. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faerie Tale.

March 15, 2019 – Shelved
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2019 – Started Reading
March 22, 2019 – Shelved (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 22, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
page 42
page 62
12.65% "I'm unsure what I am even reading 🤔"
page 92
18.78% "Wee leprechauns, naked fairies and a sexy blacksmith, oh my 😳"
March 24, 2019 –
page 111
March 24, 2019 –
page 134
27.35% "Whaaaaa??? The "new" nightmares I will be having for all eternity is being almost taped by a fairy. Pain disguised as pleasure is terrifying 😟😵☠"
March 26, 2019 –
page 271
March 26, 2019 –
page 310
63.27% "Can we wrap this up now? Geesh 🙄"
March 27, 2019 – Finished Reading