Suziey's Reviews > How It Feels to Float

How It Feels to Float by Helena Fox

bookshelves: bookish-first, own, 2019-reading-women-challenge

This is a great book. The story is so relevant and relatable. Biz can't control her thoughts. At times, they get the better of her. As her mental health begins to unravel, we get a firsthand look at how she experiences the world.

What I really liked about this story was how accurate the portrayal of mental illness is. Biz's thoughts, feelings, and actions, are authentic. And you just don't read about it, you feel it. The writing mimics the unwinding of Biz's thoughts. This style has triggered me before and I was worried that this book would do the same. Thankfully, it didn't. So I was able to enjoy this read somewhat at ease. But it just goes to show how incredibly well-written, and lyrical this novel is.

The book delves into aspects of intergenerational mental illness. It does this in a subtle way. As the reader only becomes aware of it as Biz begins to learn about it herself. And it's something that Biz struggles with. We see the effects of it throughout the novel.

In a nutshell, this an emotional journey. And a story that leaves you with many questions. As a reader, I was left wondering whether Biz's experiences were real or imagined. Once again reinforcing the idea, that mental illness isn't as clear-cut as it seems.

A beautiful book.

*Thank you BookishFirst for providing an ARC in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are my own and based solely on the book*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How It Feels to Float.

March 15, 2019 – Shelved