Raeleen Lemay's Reviews > Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

Bonk by Mary Roach

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, 2019

This was a fun read! It was funny, well-researched, and extremely readable. I think Mary Roach is a great place to start for people wanting to get into nonfiction. For the most part, it was a chill ride filled with interesting sex facts and information about sexual studies that are (or I guess, were [this came out over a decade ago] being conducted) that I found to be fascinating. And each chapter is told with such ease, you almost feel like Mary could be a friend of yours.

BUT this book had one chapter that seriously made me squirm. If you're easily grossed out by icky surgical details (particularly those involving genitalia), don't read this: (view spoiler) and I couldn't think about anything else while reading the following chapters. I think it may have colored my enjoyment of the book moving forward.

Also, it felt like the book ended really abruptly, but that's because the ebook copy I read had 130 pages of bibliography and footnotes (which I also wasn't able to read throughout the book... I feel like I missed out on a bunch of fun details) so when I thought I was halfway through the book, suddenly I was reading the acknowledgments. So, the issues I had with the book were almost 100% my fault for choosing to read the ebook, and I feel like this would have totally been a 4-star book otherwise. I think I liked this one a bit better than Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, but I think either of these is a good starting point!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonk.

March 15, 2019 – Shelved
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: tbr-ebook
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
March 24, 2019 –
13.0% "This is already so informative, so funny, and so easy to read. gotta love Mary Roach"
March 27, 2019 –
March 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue) I read this book last week and I feel the exact same! It did end so quickly without much of an explanation and I read this in an old hardback edition. Not an e-book issue!

Raeleen Lemay Oh weird! I felt like there was more to explore and then it just ended. Glad it wasn’t just me!