megs_bookrack's Reviews > Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, Mirror by Jen Calonita

bookshelves: arcs-to-read, 2019-releases, ya-fantasy-to-read

**3.5-stars rounded up**

Ahhhh, Snow White.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for this story but let's be honest, we all know who I most relate to...

Jen Calonita's retelling is perfect for Snow White fans, no matter whose side you're on, as it is told in alternating perspectives of Snow and the Evil Queen.

There are multiple small twists to the Disney version most of us are familiar with. It was just enough to give it a new and exciting feel. Paying fairly strict homage to the original story, you still feel compelled to keep turning the pages, as it is just different enough.

There is nothing super ground-breaking about this but I think if you go into it just looking for a fun, quick read -- an escape from the world -- you can have a heck of an enjoyable time with Mirror, Mirror. That was what I was hoping for when I picked this up and I got it.

I would have liked a bit more depth to the characters, Snow and the Evil Queen both, but I do think they had enough nuance to keep you engaged with them. I also feel like this reads more on the younger end of the YA-spectrum, maybe even verging on Middle Grade, so just know that going in.

Overall, I would recommend this to any Disney fan, especially people who like to get the villains perspective every once in a while. This is the second book I have read in the Twisted Tales series and you better believe I am going to keep reading them as long as they are putting them out!

Thank you to the publisher, Disney Book Group, for providing me a copy to read and review! As always, I appreciate the opportunity and am excited to discuss this with other readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror, Mirror.

March 15, 2019 – Started Reading
March 15, 2019 – Shelved
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-to-read
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy-to-read
March 16, 2019 –
24.0% "Loving this so far!"
March 16, 2019 –
39.0% "...and Grumpy is still my favorite 🧡😡"
March 18, 2019 –
65.0% "I agree with the Evil Queen.
Snow White is a bit much, isn't she?

"
March 25, 2019 –
March 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Luffy (new)

Luffy Thanks for sharing all of this book with us.

megs_bookrack Luffy wrote: "Thanks for sharing all of this book with us." Thank you, Luffy!

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Terrific review, Meg 💖

megs_bookrack Felicia wrote: "Terrific review, Meg 💖" Thank you, Felicia! xo

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny This sounds like a great series!! Great review.

megs_bookrack Jenny wrote: "This sounds like a great series!! Great review."

Thank you so much, Jenny! xo