Jan Schroeder's Reviews > Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes

Becoming Superman by J. Michael Straczynski

F 50x66

“My father was a monster.” As a fan who’s seen J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) at a number of appearances, I’d heard those words and imagined the worst father I’d ever known or heard of. I couldn’t have been more wrong if I’d been picturing Mr. Rogers.

Year by year, step by step, JMS describes every conscious decision he made, even while extremely young, that would form him into the man he wanted to be, not what seemed destined by family and society. Leavened with snark and humor, the book is gripping and avoids the unrelenting grimness that it might otherwise have had.

While the family secrets and the odds against JMS’ success are a major thread, never think that that’s what the book is about. The real story is about the man, his decisions, his determination and willingness to face fears and do the right thing. Whether you’re a fan of his work or never heard of him before, this is a book well worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Superman.

March 14, 2019 – Started Reading