Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley
Recommended to Chelsea by: Emily May

"But that was the way life worked. Every human being was the result of a million different factors mixing together... Good things and bad-every friendship and romance formed, every accident, every illness-resulted from the conspiracy of hundreds of little things, in and of themselves inconsequential."

Oh boy. Where do I begin? It's quite possible that this book means so much to me because it's my unicorn-the perfect fit for this reader-and that may make my review a bit biased, so please keep that in mind as you delve into my thoughts below. Miracle Creek is a novel so precisely tailored to my wants and needs as a reader, I was left pondering just how the author crawled into my brain and extracted such specific thoughts and needs before placing them in her tale. Full disclosure-I almost missed this book, and likely wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been for Emily May's recommendation. I was worried it would be too difficult for me to read, but I'm glad I tossed those notions aside, because feeling this wide spectrum of emotion was a needed exercise in facing some of my own issues and embarking on a journey of healing and acceptance.

Please know going in that this is not an easy read. It is disturbing at times, but in a natural way and not done for shock value. Miracle Creek is an emotional rollercoaster, and I cannot imagine you, reader, not being moved by this story if you are indeed a human being. There are some timely topics discussed that are difficult to read, but Ms. Kim has touched on these in such a delicate, respectful, and honorable way that it takes some of the sting away and replaces it with a softer approach. I really don't want to discuss the plot in deep detail here, as this is a literary courtroom novel and you'll want to find out all the juicy details on your own, but this is just as much a profound study on grief and the ripple effects of a few rash choices that spiral out of control.

"It was ironic-of all the parents of their patients, Elizabeth had been the most disheveled, and yet she'd had by far the most manageable child. Henry, her only child, had been a well-mannered boy who, unlike many other patients, could walk, talk, was toilet-trained, and didn't have tantrums. During orientation, when the mother of twins with autism and epilepsy asked Elizabeth, "Sorry, but what's Henry here for? He seems so normal," she'd frowned as if offended. She recited a list-OCD, ADHD, sensory and autism spectrum disorders, anxiety-then said how hard it was, spending all her days researching experimental treatments. She seemed to have no clue how she sounded complaining while surrounded by kids with wheelchairs and feeding tubes."

And, cue the sobbing once again. This won't likely be a popular opinion, and for those of you who have already read the book, I hope you don't think less of me, but I related to Elizabeth so much and felt a deep sorrow well up inside of me for who she could have been, and for how her story played out. You see, I have been almost precisely in her shoes. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with autism spectrum and sensory disorders, OCD, and generalized anxiety at the age of 3. The doctors have been preparing us for years for the likelihood of an ADHD diagnosis in a few years, as it goes hand in hand with her particular side of the spectrum. She has asthma, moderate stomach issues, and I'll be damned if I haven't spent years of my life trying to find ways to alleviate those symptoms for her. Please do not misunderstand, the idea behind this book and my own thoughts are not to "cure" autism; the point here is that the pressurized dives were a means of treatment of unwanted symptoms, not unlike any other form of therapy.

I'm ashamed to admit that, in the darkest of days, I have thought and spoken things into the empty void that I would never truly mean, but fortunately for me, I have a strong, loving, and caring support system that holds me together when I cannot hold myself up. I wanted to dip into this book, reach out, and hold Elizabeth. I wanted to comfort her and tell her that her child's needs were valid, even when other parents told her that her child was too "normal" and undeserving of receiving the therapies. I wanted her to know that it was ok to have those dark moments, because we are all human. But this was also a beautiful wake-up call, reminding me to live in the moment and appreciate all that my beautiful McKenna brings to our family. It was an endearing and heart-wrenching reminder that, if I ever lost our joy baby, that my life would essentially cease to exist. I could never survive if that bright light was extinguished from my life, and it hit me like a ton of bricks at how desperately we need to live each day to the fullest, and how grateful and privileged I am to be entrusted as a care giver to this incredibly gifted, loving, and special child.

I could go on and on about this book, but I won't. Between the setting, although containing a fictional town in Virginia was set geographically within miles of my home, the deep, relatable characters, and a riveting plot that kept me glued from beginning to end, I cannot recommend Miracle Creek highly enough. I'm going ahead and calling it now-this will be THE debut novel of 2019, and I'm not just saying that because it was tailored so perfectly to my every whim. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up the moment you can get your hands on it. If you're a BOTM member, make this your April selection!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

March 14, 2019 – Shelved
April 7, 2019 – Started Reading
April 8, 2019 –
2.0% "Well, I made it through the prologue before starting to cry in public, so I’ll count that a win. 😭"
April 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

Michelle Added it to my list Chelsea....Look forward to reading it !

Emily May YEEESSSS! Also, phew 😂

Chelsea Humphrey Emily May wrote: "YEEESSSS! Also, phew 😂"

I don't think you've led me astray yet! ;)

Michelle wrote: "Added it to my list Chelsea....Look forward to reading it !"

I hope you enjoy it Michelle!

message 4: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Ordered it for my Book Of The Month April pick🤓 So yay!!

message 5: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Chelsea, great review ! I hope your eyes have stopped sobbing enough to begin your next one! :) I'll have to check this out.

Chelsea Humphrey Erin wrote: "Chelsea, great review ! I hope your eyes have stopped sobbing enough to begin your next one! :) I'll have to check this out."

I did begin my next one and I'm hoping to get my review of this one up tonight! <3

Melanie wrote: "Ordered it for my Book Of The Month April pick🤓 So yay!!"

Hooray! Cannot wait to hear your thoughts! <3

Michelle Yay! So happy to see 5 sobbing stars for this one! All of the reviews I've read are singing it's praises. I must get it! 🤗

message 8: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Excellent review, Chelsea! Wish I could start it now. Glad you loved it. ❤

Chelsea Humphrey Mischenko wrote: "Excellent review, Chelsea! Wish I could start it now. Glad you loved it. ❤"

Michelle wrote: "Yay! So happy to see 5 sobbing stars for this one! All of the reviews I've read are singing it's praises. I must get it! 🤗"

Thank you so much ladies!

message 10: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Howard This sounds like a great book!

Chelsea Humphrey Jennifer wrote: "This sounds like a great book!"

I hope you get a chance to read it Jennifer! <3

Denise  Reed I just finished it yesterday, and I thought it was spectacular! Your review is very insightful on a personal level. You are a hero, just like Elizabeth and Kitt and Teresa!

Elyse Walters love this book! Great review

Chelsea Humphrey Elyse wrote: "love this book! Great review"

Denise wrote: "I just finished it yesterday, and I thought it was spectacular! Your review is very insightful on a personal level. You are a hero, just like Elizabeth and Kitt and Teresa!"

Thank you, ladies! <3

message 15: by Mike (last edited Apr 10, 2019 02:32PM) (new)

Mike Tailor made for your wants and needs as a reader...those are rare and special animals indeed. Glad to see you embraced this one fully and blessed us with a rare and special review, Chelsea.

Chelsea Humphrey Mike wrote: "Tailor made for your wants and needs as a reader...those are rare and special animals indeed. Glad to see you embraced this one fully and blessed us with a rare and special review, Chelsea."

Thank you, Mike! I t was truly a special experience.

Nancy McFarlane Unlike you, Chelsea, I had no personal background that would perhaps bias my opinion of the book and yet I also thought it was one of the best books I have read. I felt for all of the parents in the book and as a mother of 4 and grandmother of 2 I could understand doing anything to help alleviate even one of the symptoms or problems these children and adults faced. I thought everything about the book was enlightening and well done - from the look at Korean culture in marriage and family to the courtroom drama itself.

Tom Swift Scott Turow is one of all time favorites, so when I saw his recommendation, I put it on my TBR. In my opinion, Turow writes the best legal thrillers.

Chelsea Humphrey Tom Swift wrote: "Scott Turow is one of all time favorites, so when I saw his recommendation, I put it on my TBR. In my opinion, Turow writes the best legal thrillers."

Oh I didn’t know that; thanks for sharing Tom! Also, I hope you enjoy the book.

Nancy wrote: "Unlike you, Chelsea, I had no personal background that would perhaps bias my opinion of the book and yet I also thought it was one of the best books I have read. I felt for all of the parents in th..."

Ah Nancy, I’m so glad this one was meaningful to you as well. Headed to check out your review now!

message 20: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Wonderful review, Chelsea. And your personal touch is so affecting and heartwarming. Enjoy your days.

Chelsea Humphrey Sue wrote: "Wonderful review, Chelsea. And your personal touch is so affecting and heartwarming. Enjoy your days."

Thanks, Sue!

Letty What a review! I’ll be adding to my TBR list. 💙

Chelsea Humphrey Letty wrote: "What a review! I’ll be adding to my TBR list. 💙"

Thank you so much, Letty. I hope you enjoy it! <3

Marialyce So happy to see your review, Chelsea and know that I have this book coming up very soon.

Chelsea Humphrey Marialyce wrote: "So happy to see your review, Chelsea and know that I have this book coming up very soon."

Thank you Marialyce! I hope you enjoy it! <3

message 26: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Kramer Your review made me tear up. Hoping I can track down a copy soon!

message 27: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Great review!!!!!!

Tom Swift Just started this one, 150 pages so far. Really good.

Chelsea Humphrey Tom Swift wrote: "Just started this one, 150 pages so far. Really good."

Deanna wrote: "Great review!!!!!!"

Leigh wrote: "Your review made me tear up. Hoping I can track down a copy soon!"

Thank you so much! 💖

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Rash How did I miss this book??!! I was thinking it was something else entirely 🙄

Chelsea Humphrey Laura wrote: "How did I miss this book??!! I was thinking it was something else entirely 🙄"

It was so good girl! <3

message 32: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Wonderful review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review, Chelsea!"

Thank you so much Maureen!

Stacey Thank you for this beautiful, honest review. This book struck a similar chord with me and I love how you articulate the ups and downs of parenting a child with special needs. This was my unicorn book too ❤️

Maureen I just finished this amazing book Chelsea and thought I'd take a look at some reviews to try to crystallise my own thoughts and feelings. However, between you and Emily May, you have summed up my every word - but so much better than I could ever have managed to do. Good luck to you and your joy baby, who is so lucky to have you as a caregiver. Many thanks for your incredibly moving, personal and thoughtful review.

Chelsea Humphrey Stacey wrote: "Thank you for this beautiful, honest review. This book struck a similar chord with me and I love how you articulate the ups and downs of parenting a child with special needs. This was my unicorn bo..."

Ah Stacey, big hugs to you! <3

Maureen wrote: "I just finished this amazing book Chelsea and thought I'd take a look at some reviews to try to crystallise my own thoughts and feelings. However, between you and Emily May, you have summed up my e..."

Thank you so much, Maureen! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it as well. <3

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Oh, my dear. You shine like a galaxy of suns in this often dim and gray place. I'm so glad you are here, and that I know you are here. My world is brighter because you're in it.
Los Angeles Review of Books has a great review of this as well:

Chelsea Humphrey Richard wrote: "Oh, my dear. You shine like a galaxy of suns in this often dim and gray place. I'm so glad you are here, and that I know you are here. My world is brighter because you're in it.
Los Angeles Review ..."

I cherish your presence here as well! <3 Thanks for sharing the LA Times review!

message 39: by Nida (new)

Nida Kazi Your review was bone chilling. I can only imagine what the book would be like. Review 👌🏻👌🏻

Chelsea Humphrey Nida wrote: "Your review was bone chilling. I can only imagine what the book would be like. Review 👌🏻👌🏻"

Thank you!

Kiley Cooper Thank you for your personal touch to your review, thank you for making me tear up. I agree this book is amazing!

Chelsea Humphrey Kiley wrote: "Thank you for your personal touch to your review, thank you for making me tear up. I agree this book is amazing!"

Oh thank you for your kind words, Kiley! I'm so pleased that you were moved by this one as well. <3