Carolynne's Reviews > Waiting for the Biblioburro

Waiting for the Biblioburro by Monica Brown

bookshelves: multicultural, picture-books
Recommended for: Malinda, Kathryn, Abigail, Gundula, Chandra

The children of Ana's village (in Colombia?)have lost their only teacher, and Ana reads her one book over and over again. When that pales she makes up stories to tell her little brother. But she longs to be able to read more books. One day a man comes to the village with two burros laden with books: The Biblioburro[s]. Since I grew up in a town with no library, where a Bookmobile came once a month, I can feel Ana's joy at the wealth of books for her to read. The delightful story is inspired by a Colombian librarian named Luis Soriano Bohorquez, according to an Author's note. The author is Peruvian-American, the author of _My Name Is Celia: The Life of Celia Cruz/Me llamo Celia: La vida de Celia Cruz_,a Pura Belpré Honor Book. Her picture book Side by Side: The Story of Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez/Lado a lado: La historia de Dolores Huerta y Cesar Chavez) was an NAACP Image Award nominee and Tejas Star Book Award finalist. According to her website (http://www.monicabrown.net/about/inde... "Monica's books are inspired by her Peruvian-American heritage and desire to share Latino/a stories with children. 'I write from a place of deep passion, joy, and commitment to producing the highest possible quality of literature for children. In my biographies, the lives of my subjects are so interesting and transformational that I am simply giving them voice for a young audience. I don't think it is ever too early to introduce children to the concepts of magical realism, social justice, and dreaming big!'"

Children will learn a few Spanish words from this book, as defined by a glossary at the end.
But the folk art-like acrylic-on-board illustrations are just as delightful: rich pastel greens and pinks and blues in stylized patterns may remind the reader of not only the painters of Mexican mural artists the books of Virginia Lee Burton, especially _The Little House_. The artist, John Parras, grew up in California, but "his Hispanic roots and heritage have provided a rich cultural palette of inspiring imagery and customs," according to his website (www.johnparraart.com/Bio.htm) Some of the visual influences seen in his work are also pop art designs, cultural symbols, surrealist compositions, regional cuisine, music, and dance costumes. The Lexile measure is AD880, probably because of the Spanish words, so read aloud to young children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for the Biblioburro.

February 9, 2012 – Started Reading
February 9, 2012 – Shelved
February 9, 2012 – Shelved as: multicultural
February 9, 2012 – Shelved as: picture-books
February 9, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lisa Vegan Ooh! Adding. I read another Biblioburro book that I liked. Thanks, Carolynne.

Manybooks I think I voted for this book for the library picture book read, but even if it does not win, your brilliant review means I am going to request it from the library.

Carolynne This book is bound to be loved by librarians.

message 4: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty How do you now carolayye