Eric Franklin's Reviews > What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars

What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars by Jim Paul

Surprisingly good because of the author's remarkable candor, colorful storytelling, and a semi-novel focus on how to avoid catastrophic losses in financial markets, rather than focusing, as so many financial books do, on providing a system for winning. While I don't find the conclusions to be comprehensive, and are focused more on people I would call traders than true investors, the findings are still useful and applicable, even with some of the underlying examples being hilariously out-of-date (Paul refers to Steve Jobs as being "lost in the wilderness" at NeXT and pretty much "done for"—that changed a bit after this book). In particular, the recognition of warning signs such as personalizing the markets, is useful—identifying when you're sliding slide into biased positions and trading beyond your own rules—indeed, having rules in the first place, are all worthwhile topics. I wish there were more books like this in the financial canon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars.

March 13, 2019 – Started Reading