Michelle's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

bookshelves: netgalley-approved, april-2019-reads, my-favorites

4.5 rounded up!

Miracle Creek checks a lot of boxes for me - family drama, a whodunnit, court room proceedings, great characters and excellent writing. The family featured is a Korean immigrant family who runs an experimental medical business that people seek "treatments" for who have autism, infertility and other life altering "ailments". This course of treatment is highly controversial for some and when a fire is responsible for killing two people during a treatment, a murder investigation begins and fingers are pointing everywhere.

It took me about 100 pages to get into the rhythm, but once I found my footing I couldn't tear my eyes away (unless I was forced to since I can't read all day and night 😉). The court room scenes were riveting and I felt like I was there. Picture your favorite court room drama on TV - this was just as good. When the reader wasn't in the court room, we were treated to flashbacks that delved into each characters side of the story, which gave new information to what we already knew. Angie Kim was very clever in her writing, which made it difficult to figure out who started the fire.

If court rooms scenes or criminal investigations don't quite pique your interest, there is plenty here in the likes of literary fiction, where we go behind the scenes to parents who are literally a slave to their children's lives. There are plenty of discussion pieces here, which make this a perfect book club choice. I highly recommend this and can't wait for Ms. Kim to write her next book.

Thanks to Netgalley, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, and Angie Kim for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.

Review Date: 4/7/19
Publication Date: 4/16/19

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

March 13, 2019 – Shelved
page 87
page 103
April 4, 2019 –
page 157
43.98% "This book is so good."
April 4, 2019 –
page 209
58.54% "Fourth Day 💥💥"
April 7, 2019 –
page 272
76.19% "Almost done..."
April 7, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: my-favorites

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Beata Getting into the rhythm took me some time as well, but then ............. it is an amazing debut :) Grand review, Michelle :)

message 2: by NZLisaM (new) - added it

NZLisaM Fantastic review, Michelle. Added to my tbr based on your high-praise recommendation. 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Michelle! I’m reading this soon! ♥️

Michelle Beata wrote: "Getting into the rhythm took me some time as well, but then ............. it is an amazing debut :) Grand review, Michelle :)"

Completely agree!! I had no idea Angie Kim as an attorney when I first started reading it and as I kept going I thought - HOW could she write these court room scenes with such brilliance?!? Then I saw she was an attorney and was completely blown away. She must have been one heck of an attorney!

Michelle NZLisaM wrote: "Fantastic review, Michelle. Added to my tbr based on your high-praise recommendation. 😊"

I'm so glad, Lisa!! I almost missed out on this myself! I saw it all over NG and kept passing on it because I didn't think the whole medical experiment business thing would interest me. It wasn't until I saw a friend's review that I thought I'd give it a try. It's definitely worth it!!

Michelle Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Michelle! I’m reading this soon! ♥️"

Thanks so much, Jennifer!! I look forward to seeing your thoughts when you start!!

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Excellent review, Michelle! 💖 I do love a good courtroom drama so I need to get my hands on this!

Michelle Michelle wrote: "Excellent review, Michelle! 💖 I do love a good courtroom drama so I need to get my hands on this!"

Thanks, Michelle!!! It's superb!! What also makes it great is the author put in visuals to help with things in the courtroom that are used visually for the jury that we the reader can't see. I honestly felt like I was watching it - that's how well written it was.

Susanne  Strong Stellar review Michelle! Glad you liked this one so much!

Michelle Susanne wrote: "Stellar review Michelle! Glad you liked this one so much!"

Thanks, Susanne! Sometimes, the book makes it easy on us reviewers :)

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Michelle wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Excellent review, Michelle! 💖 I do love a good courtroom drama so I need to get my hands on this!"

That sounds really ingenious and now you have me even more intrigued!

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review, Michelle. I’ve been putzing around with this and still haven’t gotten to it

Michelle Tammy wrote: "Terrific review, Michelle. I’ve been putzing around with this and still haven’t gotten to it"

Thanks, Tammy! I did too for a while, but a good review finally moved me into action (and the pub date). I hope you like it!

Felicia Oooohhhhh this sounds so good. Fantastic review, Michelle 💖

Michelle Felicia wrote: "Oooohhhhh this sounds so good. Fantastic review, Michelle 💖"

Thanks, Felicia! You won't be disappointed!

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Brilliant review Michelle! This sounds so good! 💕

message 17: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme Fantastic review!!

message 18: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Wonderful review, Michelle! 💕

Michelle Nicola wrote: "Brilliant review Michelle! This sounds so good! 💕"

Thanks, Nicola! It definitely was!

Michelle Jayme wrote: "Fantastic review!!"

Thanks, Jayme!

Michelle Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review, Michelle! 💕"

Thanks, Maureen!

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Well, I am not familiar with this book, Michelle, but your review is pretty compelling. Will keep it in mind. I see we have read essentially the same number of books and by you raising your goal, you have inspired me to do the same. I’m raising from 50 to 60!

Michelle Christine wrote: "Well, I am not familiar with this book, Michelle, but your review is pretty compelling. Will keep it in mind. I see we have read essentially the same number of books and by you raising your goal, y..."

Thanks, Christine! This book almost jumped outside my radar as it's something I normally would have passed on based on the description alone. If it wasn't for another review by a GR friend, I wouldn't have read it. I'm so glad I did. :)

Congratulations on the increased goal! Best of luck!

Holly  B Love your review Michelle!

message 25: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Wonderful review, Michelle! The premise of this book sounds really intriguing 😊

Michelle Holly wrote: "Love your review Michelle!"

Thanks, Holly!!

Michelle Shelby wrote: "Wonderful review, Michelle! The premise of this book sounds really intriguing 😊"

Thanks, Shelby! I definitely think you'd like it. As a new mom myself it definitely struck some chords!

Marialyce Sounds wonderful and I am so anxious to read this story. Terrific review, Michelle.

message 29: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review! This book has gotten lots of good reviews :-)

Michelle Marialyce wrote: "Sounds wonderful and I am so anxious to read this story. Terrific review, Michelle."

Thanks, Marialyce! Such a great debut!

Michelle *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Great review! This book has gotten lots of good reviews :-)"

Thanks Tudor Queen!! Sometimes, the author makes it easy on us 🤩

message 32: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review!!

Michelle Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!!"

Thanks, Deanna!

Meredith Fabulous review, Michelle! I'm dying to read this!

Michelle Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Michelle! I'm dying to read this!"

You're going to love it, Mer!

JanB I have this book from NG Michelle, and now I'm even more excited to read it. What a terrific review!

JanB Update...I 5 star loved it too. I'm glad we both loved this one 😊

Marialyce This was definitely such a good story. Loved your review, Michelle!

Michelle JanB wrote: "Update...I 5 star loved it too. I'm glad we both loved this one 😊"

Yay!!!! This book was just such an out of nowhere surprise for me so that made it even nicer! I'm so glad you loved it, Jan!!

Michelle Marialyce wrote: "This was definitely such a good story. Loved your review, Michelle!"

Thanks so much, Marialyce! So glad you both loved it!!