Bookgirl86's Reviews > the ballad of Calle and Maja – a short story

the ballad of Calle and Maja – a short story by Lawrence G. Taylor

U 50x66

A tale of love and woe that brings to mind the classic story of Romeo and Juliet. For it being a short story, “The Ballad of Calle and Maja” pulled me in right away and wrapped me up in it's narrative like a warm blanket.
The story is about a Swedish man named Calle who, after having been looking for love unsuccessfully for many years, eventually decides to ask his coworker, the beautiful Maja out on a date.
What follows is a tale of romance, heartbreak, tragedy—well, I won't spoil it by telling you any more than that. Suffice it to say this story really caught me off guard with it's depth.
I loved the characters, especially Maja, and really felt for their struggles. The writing was superb and really made me feel as if I were there, experiencing everything with the characters. Some of the sentences were particularly beautiful and well crafted, particularly the opening paragraph that talked about love hailing “from one heart to another” and how difficult it has become to find love in this increasingly social media controlled world.
What a joy this short story was to read! I imagine I will be remembering it and thinking about it for a long time to come. Five stars for this and I would love to read more by this author in the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read the ballad of Calle and Maja – a short story.

Finished Reading