Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Chase Darkness with Me by Billy Jensen

bookshelves: true-crime, nonfiction

CW: descriptions of murders

Billy Jensen is definitely a hero to me.

When I read this book, I kept talking about what he was doing to my half-interested parents. (They're not that into true crime, sadly.) How he helps solve crimes by geotargeting ads so people in that location near the crime, who may have seen something they didn't know was important, would be able to give tips.

I first heard about Billy from My Favorite Murder. I remember hearing him talk about what he does. Then I read I’ll Be Gone in the Dark, which I thought was a pretty average true crime book, but has grown on me as I think about the legacy it's created. Michelle helped catch the Golden State Killer. She created her legacy by inspiring so many people to help with cold cases that they took an interest in. And it's heartbreaking that she wasn't around to do it.

Now all of these people who worked with her are coming to talk about what they do, Billy included.

I loved reading about the cases he worked and just how passionate he is. Didn't matter what time or day it was. He was constantly working to help families get closure about what happened. I think that's so admirable. And he's so right in his addendum about this. It will become time-consuming because you won't want to rest because the family can't rest. Your relationships will suffer because of that, so you have to find really awesome people who accept this.

In my own life, I equate that to social work. There are definite boundaries in social work but you still get involved. I still think about past patients they had and hope that they're doing okay. Social work can be life-consuming because there's such a great need for it and not enough services for those people who need it. And if you're not careful, it will be a 24/7 job and you still won't be able to help everyone you want to.

The cases he covered were more unknown than known for me. I don't watch Crime Watch Daily, so I don't really see all the little cases that they cover that, perhaps, aren't as well-covered as others. I liked being able to see the cases and read about all the ones that slip through our fingers because they just weren't interesting enough to last longer than a news cycle or two.

I think that the only con for this was that it didn't draw me in as much as I wanted. I loved that he started with his childhood and how his father inspired him, but it took me a while to really get into the story. I think that whenever I reread it -- because I'm sure that I will -- I'll pick up on the things that I missed during this first read.

Overall, a really good true crime story that covers cases most of us aren't familiar with and talks about how we can all use technology to help solve cold cases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chase Darkness with Me.

March 13, 2019 – Shelved
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: true-crime
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 16, 2019 – Started Reading
August 16, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
August 17, 2019 –
page 181
53.87% "I started this yesterday and this is amazing! Like, Billy Jensen is an amazing guy."
August 18, 2019 – Finished Reading