cheryl's Reviews > Then Came You

Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner

F 50x66
Feb 09, 2012

liked it

I'm picky with my "chick lit". I like to occassionally pick up a book that falls into that realm for a little bit of a mental holiday, but I only really enjoy a few authors. Weiner has written a few of my favorites in this realm so I was glad to pick this one up after sludging through The New Republic.

This book has several female narrators all tied by a thread: they are all involved in a surrogate pregnancy. There is the intended mom, her step-daughter, a young egg donor, and a surrogate who is desperate for the money. The novel explores both the physical and mental aspects of the journey for all of the characters. I found myself most interesed in Jules, the egg donor whom we meet while she is on scholarship at Princeton and who wants to money to help her dad get into drug and alcohol rehab.

I tend to like the multiple narrator technique and was able to keep the numerous stories straight. However, I couldn't put my finger on what bothered me until I read it in another review -- the women all "sound" identical. Their stories are fairly diverse, but the voice really doesn't vary. I also felt like they were all pretty stereotypical...no one felt too real or, despite tons of obstacles thrown at them, too complex. I think Weiner may have spent her best stories early and may be suffering from simply trying to write too many books. It was an interesting plot but lacked the texture that made a few of her early works (Good in Bed and In Her Shoes) special. Three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Came You.