Dani (The Pluviophile Writer)'s Reviews > The Gifts of Imperfection

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown

bookshelves: e-books, non-fiction, freaking-amazing, self-help

Update:

This book changed my life. Dramatic as it sounds, it's true.

I wrote this on Brené's Facebook page:

"Brené,

I've just about finished your book "The Gifts of Imperfection" which I discovered after watching you speak on TED talks and I can honestly say that this book is helping me completely change my life.

I suffer(ed) from a condition called Dermatillomania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatil...) and I've tried everything from therapists, medication and herbal supplements to help manage the condition. While I have been able to make substantial progress with it I ultimately I have relapses which used to be extremely damaging to my confidence my emotional health and physical appearance. I was my worst enemy and I could beat myself up relentlessly. Everything that I was doing wasn't helping me deter the triggers which caused me to pick my skin and this book has made everything so clear to me. I knew that I needed to be nicer to myself and change the expectations that I had for myself which all evolved around perfectionism but I had no idea how or even why I had these ideas and beliefs in the first place. Your book has helped me feel worthy again and that the root of my beliefs wasn't because I was completely crazy or extremely mentally ill and for this I cannot thank you enough.

I've found that a lot of people who suffer from this disorder have no sense of self worth and are unable to practice self-compassion. I'm on a few support groups on Facebook and I've done nothing but praise your book and push people within the group to read it. I've learned that no amount of medication or even therapy can change your inner thoughts, or gremlins as you term it, and that it does need to be practiced. I've be trying to tell those in my support group that beating themselves up has not worked thus far so it's time for them to try another tactic! Practicing compassion for themselves.

While I know that I cannot completely rid myself of my condition I do know that I can control how I feel about it and how I treat myself in regards to it with the help of your work. I will continue to spread your work through the Dermatillomania community in hopes that your teachings will spread faster than the negative ones that currently occupy that space and help sufferers live more Wholehearted lives.

Thank you. Truly.

Sincerely,

Danielle"

~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw Brené Brown talk on TED talks (http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_...) and she really spoke to me. I had to hear more of what she had to say. I'm a struggling perfectionist who doesn't want to feel vulnerable or weak and I want to know how to accept these feelings into my life so that I don't feel frustrated and angry about them. Looking forward to reading this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gifts of Imperfection.

February 9, 2012 – Shelved
page 138
February 23, 2012 – Shelved as: freaking-amazing
February 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 3, 2014 – Shelved as: self-help

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Maria Thank you for your vulnerability! I'm LOVING this book. Even after having read Daring Greatly and watching TED Talks, this is life-changing stuff!

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) Cheers Maria :) <3 It really is!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) Gladys wrote: "Thank you for your amazing and honest review. Purchasing the book right now thanks to you!"
That's wonderful! Thank you. I hope that you enjoyed the book and that it was helpful for you.