Kristin's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

bookshelves: books-i-own

East of Eden is one of those books I've been wanting to read for years but I've always been intimidated by it. I checked it out from the library probably 10 years ago but never made it past the first couple of pages...I was a teenager and pages of description of the Salinas Valley just didn't appeal to me! Since then, its page count has kept me from picking it up again.

But I'm really glad that I finally did! It turns out that there was no reason for the 600 pages to be scary...I had a hard time putting this one down! It was depressing and full of unlikable characters, and normally I don't like that. But this is the kind of story that sucks you in and gets under your skin.

The writing was really nice most of the time. There were occasionally long random parts that dragged on, but there were some really beautiful and profound lines. Steinbeck does characters really well. Kathy was so creepy and disturbing (until near the end, when she was just sad) that I really was afraid of her. And then there's Cal, who you feel sorry for even though he does bad things.

Despite the depressing situations and unlikable characters and the fact that there was a lot more language and prostitution in this book than I'd prefer, I still really enjoyed it. I can see why it's considered a classic, and I can definitely see myself rereading it in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.

February 9, 2012 – Shelved