megs_bookrack's Reviews > Those People

Those People by Louise Candlish

bookshelves: arcs-read

Let's cut to the chase:

I am trash for domestic drama from Louise Candlish.

She has such a knack for examining the dark side of an otherwise mundane domestic landscape. Additionally, I am really into how she formats her stories, the use of mixed media, such as police interviews, newspaper articles, texts and/or emails, I absolutely love that.

This story is set on Lowland Way, a quiet residential street in a posh-suburban neighborhood. The envy of other neighborhoods, this one seems the perfect place to be and raise a family.

Everyone gets along so smoothly, they have even organized 'play-out Sunday', where the street literally gets blocked off to cars and the kids just play in the street all day while the parents relax and socialize. Everyone cooperates. Everyone participates. It's perfect.

That is until Darren and Jodie move into #1 after Darren inherits the property. They bring with them loud music, inappropriate language, a dodgy renovation project, not to mention many cars that he actively works on and sells from his driveway.

The icing on the cake being that they refuse to follow the rules of play-out Sunday and continue driving cars on the street!!!

As you can imagine, neighbors are not impressed. In fact, their presence causes so much stress that several people discuss selling and moving on. Long-term owners on the street refuse to be cowed by the newcomers however and the plotting and diabolical scheming begins.

Y'all, these neighbors are savage!
They take their domestic peace VERY SERIOUSLY!!!
I can't say I blame them but, damn, the stuff they come up with!

I had a really great time reading this. As with Our House, you know from the very beginning that a crime has occurred but you aren't quite sure who the victim is. Overtime, through interviews and the perspectives of multiple characters the true story gets revealed. This style, for me, makes the plot move along very quickly and I love starting a new chapter in order to see someone else's POV.

At this point, I am a fangirl for Candlish and will definitely continue to pick up any domestic drama she puts out! Thank you so much to the publisher, Berkley Publishing Group, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I truly appreciate it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those People.

March 12, 2019 – Shelved
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 1, 2019 – Started Reading
July 2, 2019 –
8.0% "I love the format of her stuff!"
July 3, 2019 –
15.0% "They should just blow up #1.
Save some drama..."
July 3, 2019 –
25.0% "This is making me thank my blessings for my neighbors who are quiet and mind their own business!"
July 4, 2019 –
July 5, 2019 –
July 7, 2019 –
41.0% "OMFG.
😱😱😱
I did not see that coming!"
July 8, 2019 –
July 9, 2019 –
71.0% "((GASP))"
July 9, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
July 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Seema (new)

Seema Rao Someday I’ll get a Berkley Arc :)

megs_bookrack Seema wrote: "Someday I’ll get a Berkley Arc :)" You certainly would get my recommendation! ;)
I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
I feel like this one is going to be really good.

Felicia I just got it too. I loved her last book 💖

megs_bookrack Felicia wrote: "I just got it too. I loved her last book 💖" I did too! (on both counts) really looking forward to this one!

message 5: by Dita (new)

Dita Oooooooooh, yes please!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Oooooooooh, yes please!" I have a good feeling on this one!! 😀😁🥂

message 7: by Seema (new)

Seema Rao oh, thanks. Man, I should have not clicked send. I know it's just about numbers. I'm way low on followers on this and IG.

megs_bookrack Seema wrote: "oh, thanks. Man, I should have not clicked send. I know it's just about numbers. I'm way low on followers on this and IG." keep trying! Persistence seriously pays off!!!

Holly  B Great review Megs!

Holly  B Loved this review💕

megs_bookrack Holly wrote: "Loved this review💕" Thank you so much, Holly! I appreciate your kindness -- xo