Lex Kent's Reviews > Moonlight Avenue

Moonlight Avenue by Gerri Hill

4.25 Stars. This was another great book by Gerri Hill. As true of many other readers, I’m a big Hill fan. What really impresses me is over her long career she has managed to write in just about every category of lesfic. She has written different types of romances, mystery/crime, action, paranormal and even sci-fi. I love that when you pick up a new book of hers you never know what new adventure awaits. And while I do enjoy all the different types of books she writes her mysteries are some of my favorites. This was an excellent mystery/romance book.

The story stars a Private Investigator named Finn Knight. After a career as a cop and detective her life took a turn that landed her in charge of a one woman PI firm. She lives her life as a loner and wants to keep it that way. But when a case that starts as a simple cheating spouse, turns into murder…Fin realizes she must open herself up to some help, even if it means her heart may get in the way.

This is a real murder mystery book. It is in the same vein as a Sue Grafton or JM Redmann type of mystery. There is a lot of surveillance and following the clues. And because of that this book is a little slow paced at times. But every scene really does mean something. Each piece brings them closer to solving the mystery. And while this book is slow at times it also speeds up and has some good excitement. I really believe mystery fans will eat this book up like I did.

Besides the mystery this is a slow-burn romance. It is very slow-burn but I loved every second of it. I’m not sure what it was but I thought the chemistry was great. It kept building and building and eventually they started to put out sparks together. It is an age-gap, about ten years, but it was obvious these two were meant to be together. I also loved seeing Finn’s hard outside, her loner persona slowly crumble.

If you are a mystery fan don’t hesitate to grab this. This was a treat to read and I hope we will be seeing a book 2 soon. One small complaint, Hill teased us that CJ from Weeping Walls might make and appearance. I got so excited but it didn’t happen. Hill if you are reading this maybe CJ can come out to play in Book 2:)

An ARC was given to me for a honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight Avenue.

March 11, 2019 – Started Reading
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: great-chemistry
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: slow-burn
March 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Bethany Jinx! 123.

message 2: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent LOL I'm off to read your review right now:)

Bethany Meh, once again you said it more eloquently :)

message 4: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Boo on that I don't think so. This reminded me a lot of Sue Grafton's PI books and it just made me feel good reading it. Also really liked the chemistry. Hill knows how to slowly build up and I love that:)

Farah CJ and Paige? Authors should really pay you for all your
convincing reviews, then you can have the library like The Beast's.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Delightful review, Lex ;)

Bethany I agree! They worked well together! Great chemistry, especially for a crime novel.

I totally agree with Farah too :) All hail the badass library!! (Only if you get the ladder too though :) )

Farah The ladder and Belle?

Bethany Even better!! The ladder AND Belle! :)

message 10: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Yes that CJ. I loved CJ and Paige and would love a cameo:) And yes the ladder would be great if it came with a pretty lady that sings:)

Diane- Thank you kindly:)

message 11: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Great review, Lex! Added this to my list.

message 12: by Bugs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bugs Oooo...!! I’ve been looking forward to reading this one! Well, as s huge Hill fan, I’ll read anything she writes, obvs. But after reading an excerpt of this latest one, I was really excited bc Hill writes great mysteries! Great insightful review, mate! Even more chuffed now! *rubbing hands in anticipation*

message 13: by Lex (last edited Mar 12, 2019 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Thanks Bugs! I felt that way too. I'll read anything she writes but her mysteries are my favorites:)

Carrie- Thanks so much! It's worth the read:)

message 14: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Sounds great. I'm not entirely sure that I'm a mystery fan. But saddled with a nice slow burn romance where you say it was obvious they were meant to be? I think I may take a chance on it.

message 15: by Lex (last edited Mar 12, 2019 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Carrie- The book does have a slow pace especially in the beginning but the book builds, so does the romance and the chemistry really worked for me. I like when authors take time to actually build the chemistry up:)

Leela20 I'm another big fan, so that's in the top of my pile. Thankss for your great review !!!

message 17: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Thanks Leela! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

Soulsearching Wonderful review, Lex :) An excellent mystery book with a slow burn romance! How can I resist it now?

message 19: by Lex (last edited Mar 13, 2019 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Exactly! Hope you love it:) And thank you!

Sandra Oh great another Hill book! I'm so excited. By the way great review Lex :)

message 21: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent I felt the same way:) Thanks Sandra!

message 22: by Betty (new) - added it

Betty Great review Lex. You and Bethany have convinced me. :)

message 23: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent Thanks Betty! It is a little slow in the beginning but I really enjoyed it. Good mystery good chemistry, it was fun to read:)

Agirlcandream This looks great. I love police procedural/romantic. Intrigue novels. Great review, Lex. I need to find more hours in the day to read!

message 25: by Lex (last edited Mar 13, 2019 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Kent I so hear you! :) I think this book will be right up your alley:) And thank you!