Penny (Literary Hoarders)'s Reviews > The Dutch House

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

bookshelves: own-it, audible-owned, audiobook, books-read-in-2020

Oh my heart this was completely wonderful! The narration by Tom Hanks elevated it to a 5-star. At first I was not too keen on it being Tom Hanks narrating - would I be hearing Woody? Fred Rogers? Forrest Gump? It was how I felt when I see that a movie will be starring Tom Hanks - like is there no one else in Hollywood? But....wow, he was perfectly perfect and I really can't imagine anyone else reading it. He read it with the right amount of passion, humour, and emotion.

You don't go into a Patchett expecting a major plot. Her study of character and the ability to translate it onto paper is incredible. That is what you find here in The Dutch House 100%. I actually teared up when I was around 75% of the way through it. Not because I hit a particularly sad or emotional part, but the realization dawned on me that my time with Danny and Maeve and the Dutch House was coming quickly to an end, and I didn't want this one to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dutch House.

March 12, 2019 – Shelved
January 26, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 26, 2020 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2020
January 26, 2020 –
page 0
"Was going to be travelling so purchased the Audible audiobook and can honestly say I agree with everyone's comments/reviews about Tom Hanks being perfect for this. Wasn't so sure if I thought that way, but he really does do a wonderful job narrating here!"
January 28, 2020 –
January 30, 2020 –
76.0% "I don't know what I'm going to do when this is done. I don't want it to end."
January 31, 2020 – Finished Reading