Willow L's Reviews > Juniper Lane

Juniper Lane by Dylan   Morrison

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

This author has written one of the best pieces of fiction, let alone fanfiction, I've ever read. "What We Pretend We Can't See", a Drarry masterpiece. I was so excited to find out that he's written a book, and one I could buy! It was fantastic to slip into Dylan's writing again, and to learn about this little town and all these characters. I especially loved the representation for all kinds of identities. I also loved the art through the book! Very pretty!!

However, despite how much I appreciate a good grey character, complex women, and taking the piss out of suburban rich fuckers, I found the pacing of this book to be troubling. It alternated between really slow and really fast, ultimately being a slowburn romance between the two main characters, but depicted in such an odd way. And they say show don't tell, but I think this book did too much showing, and not enough telling. I think it lacked detail in places, and just...necessary context in others. The first time Gale is introduced, Mim somehow already knows her first name despite never being told? That's just one awkward example. I think dual POVs was a great choice for this, but I just wish this book was longer and more fleshed out. It would have easily made it more of a stand out 4 stars than a pretty basic 3. Enjoyable, fun, lovely prose, but ultimately lacking in detail and proper pacing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juniper Lane.

March 12, 2019 – Shelved