BookOfCinz's Reviews > The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

bookshelves: 2019-reads, believe-the-hype, cant-shut-up-about-this, debut, edge-of-your-pages, loved

Finally!! "the next Gone Girl" that is actually "the next Gone Girl

Silent Patient did it for me, I am beyond impress with this book. I feel like there are so many books out there that are dubbed "psychological thriller" that is not thrilling in the least. Silent Patience however, lived up to ALL the hype and trust me, the hype was REAL.

In Silent Patient we meet Alicia Berenson who is a famous painter, married to an equally famous fashion photographer, Gabriel. From the outside, they are the quintessential in-love couple whose got a lot going for them.... that is until one evening Alicia shoots Gabriel in the face five times and never speaks. Alicia not speaking sparks debate and speculation during her trial, even then she doesn't speak to defend herself. Of course Alicia is deemed "mad" and is sentenced to live out her time at Grove Institution.

The story is told from Theo Faber's point of view, a criminal psychotherapist who followed the case and made it his mission to meet Alicia and make her speak. With a job opening at Grove Institution, Faber got the opportunity of a lifetime....or did he?

Honestly, this book worked on so many levels. The premise from the get go had me hooked, I just could not understand why the main character would not speak. Also, the narration from Faber's perspective pulled me in from the very first line. There is something about a first person POV that does it for me. The last time I was blown away by a psychological thriller was when I read Gone Alex Michaelides is either one excellent writer or he needs help.

Un-put-down-able. I HIGHLY recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Patient.

March 11, 2019 – Started Reading
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: cant-shut-up-about-this
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: debut
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: edge-of-your-pages
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: loved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Karen (idleutopia_reads) You had me at that headline. I've tried so many thrillers hoping it would match the brilliance of Gone Girl. I will definitely have to give this one a try.

BookOfCinz Karen (idleutopia_reads) wrote: "You had me at that headline. I've tried so many thrillers hoping it would match the brilliance of Gone Girl. I will definitely have to give this one a try."

I definitely hyped it up because honestly, it was SOOO good. I really hope you love it as much as I did. Please keep me posted!

Caroline I'm just so excited we actually love the same book! This was INCREDIBLE, and your review couldn't be more spot on! I wanna recommend this to everyone!!

Bibliophagist89 I can't wait to read this book! It's at home in my tbr pile :) #excitedmuch

message 5: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Thanks for this — adding to my TBR!