Julia | TheReadingConspiracy.com's Reviews > Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything by Molly E. Lee

6199877

bookshelves: arc-netgalley

I voluntarily received this advanced reading copy through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

3.5 stars for the originality and great concept. The summary reminded me of Netflix's Sex Education, which is a show that I absolutely love for its originality and quirkiness. I was expecting this to be similar and it kind of started off that way but it didn't deliver as I hoped.

I found myself wishing for more quirkiness and more fun. I wish there was more of an in-depth representation of coding and not just a mention of the characters sitting at their laptops, coding away. I wanted more of the blog, more of what made it unique and refreshing, rather than the basic and typical teenage filler/fluff.

Amber was an okay lead. Something about the "victim" storyline didn't sit right with me and the fact that it kept repeatedly coming up as though she was going to have to overcome this and have some major character development didn't pan out the way I thought it would. In fact, perhaps it's horrible to say, but I actually found it quite a bit annoying. And Dean, aka Mr. Dreamy Hacker boy, was okay too. He didn't piss me off nor did he stir up some other emotions in me. He was just fine. In all honesty, they were kind of forgettable characters.

The one part of the book that actually had me cheering was the blog post about women empowering each other instead of tearing each other down. That resonated with me and was so glad to see it discussed, fiction or not.

We're constantly told that Amber is strong, but we don't "see" it until we're 60% of the way through and by that point, it's hard to believe. I don't want to be told that she's strong. I want to be able to read it and feel it. She was broken about something and she eventually overcame it, but even when she had the opportunities to stick up for herself, her knight and shining armor came in to save the day. I wanted her to come full-circle with the blog in the end by shouting it from the rooftops and was kind of disappointed that she didn't.

Side note - What's up with all these male love interests in YA novels letting out "growls" from their chests? Why is this a thing? How is this a thing? Has it always been a thing and I've never been so bothered by it until recently? Can we please stop describing sexual tension with "a growl rumbled from his chest" and etc? Please? Really. Every time I read "growl" a little part of me dies. No one "growls" in real life unless they're some kind of animal. It's not sexy. Kay, thanks.

Check out my full review and others on The Reading Conspiracy: https://www.thereadingconspiracy.com

Instagram | Twitter
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask Me Anything.

March 11, 2019 – Started Reading