Kate Ellison's Reviews > The Pregnancy Project

The Pregnancy Project by Gaby Rodriguez

Feb 08, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick and easy read--I read the whole thing in one evening--but I think the subject matter really packs a powerful punch. I remember hearing about this in the news when it happened, and I was so intrigued. I was thrilled to finally be able to read the whole story.

There were some aspects of the story that I found clunky, like the fact that the first several chapters are basically one big info-dump about Gaby's family history (I think this information could have been more artfully woven throughout the entire story, interspersed with Gaby's experience with the project). But once I hit Gaby's story, I was glued to the page, and I found myself thrilled and moved by her experiences. When I got to the chapter about the big reveal before the entire school, I was practically holding my breath.

My favorite quote:

"There are always going to be some people in life who disappoint you and don't believe in you like you hoped they would, and you have to find the strength to rise about it and realize that they're wrong. You're still a worthy person whether they thing so or not. If there's no one else to tell it to you, then tell it to yourself."

Ultimately, it's an uplifting book with a positive message about what society can do to support and encourage teen mothers--or anybody, really--to succeed despite their stereotypes and their life circumstances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pregnancy Project.