Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)'s Reviews > A River of Royal Blood

A River of Royal Blood by Amanda  Joy

liked it
bookshelves: e-arc-review-copy

(I received a free eARC for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own)

Book review: A river of royal blood (A river of royal blood #1) by Amanda Joy (3.5 stars)

“It is important to remember that power can’t be swayed. Power simply is.”

A river of royal blood (A river of royal blood #1) by Amanda Joy
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

(Synopsis from Goodreads)

Sixteen-year-old Eva is a princess, born with the magick of marrow and blood--a dark and terrible magick that hasn't been seen for generations in the vibrant but fractured country of Myre. Its last known practitioner was Queen Raina, who toppled the native khimaer royalty and massacred thousands, including her own sister, eight generations ago, thus beginning the Rival Heir tradition. Living in Raina's long and dark shadow, Eva must now face her older sister, Isa, in a battle to the death if she hopes to ascend to the Ivory Throne--because in the Queendom of Myre only the strongest, most ruthless rulers survive.

When Eva is attacked by an assassin just weeks before the battle with her sister, she discovers there is more to the attempt on her life than meets the eye--and it isn't just her sister who wants to see her dead. As tensions escalate, Eva is forced to turn to a fey instructor of mythic proportions and a mysterious and handsome khimaer prince for help in growing her magick into something to fear. Because despite the love she still has for her sister, Eva will have to choose: Isa's death or her own.

A River of Royal Blood is an enthralling debut set in a lush North African inspired fantasy world that subtly but powerfully challenges our notions of power, history, and identity.

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

This book gave me the vibe of Three dark crowns.

The world building is easy to grasp, I enjoyed the concept and story. I found the characters okay and I liked that Eva is the underdog in the story, that made me root for her character since the start of the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and pacing of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River of Royal Blood.

March 11, 2019 – Shelved