Siv's Reviews > The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

liked it

This book was like a meandering dream, weaving in and out of place and time, characters familiar and strange, each drawn and returning to a beloved house along the river. It's an ode to home, and one in particular, currently occupied by a lovely ghost.

I liked the book while between its cover but, as I shut them, I felt disappointed. Some of it was too predictable, some threads too neatly tied while others were left to dangle. I guess I felt like I simply woke up from the dream.

"He would never see her again. And yet he wished he could have told her that he'd lost his way, too. He'd lost his way, but hope still fluttered in and out of focus like a bird, singing that if he kept putting one foot in front of the other, he might just make it home" (261).

"Home...the perfunctory description accorded the building in which one currently resides, but also the warm, rounded name used to describe the place from which ultimate comfort adn safety is derived" (310).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clockmaker's Daughter.

Started Reading