Cathy's Reviews > The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions

The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen

liked it
bookshelves: read-2019

The book has enjoyable stretches, but in total was really too boring to keep my interest. Strange, really, considering that I am interested in paleontology, love to watch documentaries about Earth‘s history—volcanos, movement of tectonic plates, various critters, etc.— and frequently read about climate change and sustainability topics.

Not sure if it‘s me or the book. I sometimes disliked the flip tone of the narrator. And the book was a little to centered on the US to really appeal to me. On the other hand I learned something about the geological history of the North American continent.

I think one issue I have is that it‘s not clear to me what the book wants to be. A kind of travelogue with anecdotal stories about geological and paleontological history or rather light pop-science, priming us on the reasons and consequences of climate change. Neither works well enough.

At times informative and lightly entertaining, sometimes humourous, depressing and boring for long stretches. The required doomsday scenario at the end with a pinch of hope.

About the author: http://peterbrannen.com/about

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ends of the World.

March 10, 2019 – Started Reading
March 10, 2019 – Shelved
March 13, 2019 –
page 1
10.0% "I like the footstep analogy to explain Earth‘s timeline."
March 13, 2019 –
page 2
20.0% "Wow, this is boring!"
March 14, 2019 –
page 3
March 19, 2019 –
page 5
50.0% "I am mildy entertained. I reached the Precambrian period."
March 20, 2019 –