Tammy's Reviews > We Are All Good People Here

We Are All Good People Here by Susan Rebecca White

Read 2 times. Last read March 10, 2019.

“You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows” –Bob Dylan

That is, of course, until you think you do. I’m getting ahead of myself. This novel begins in 1962 with the well worn trope of two girls from different backgrounds thrown together as college roommates at Belmont and become fast friends. The writing is, initially, simplistic which I found off putting. Due to an unsettling event, the girls transfer to Barnard and the writing becomes more sophisticated as the girls lose some of their naiveté. Nice device. Both girls become involved in the civil rights movement during the seething sixties. One becomes a member of a radical left-wing terror organization and the other chooses a different path. Throughout three decades the themes of racism, political unrest, faith and cultural/societal norms are explored. Sound familiar? The voices of the main characters and their daughters are singular and realistic. Suffice it to say that good people with good intentions can put into motion events that have catastrophic outcomes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are All Good People Here.

Finished Reading
March 10, 2019 – Started Reading
March 10, 2019 – Shelved
March 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Michelle I’m glad to see 4 Stars! My request has been pending for quite a while so I think I’ll be getting it from the library when it’s available!

Tammy Michelle wrote: "I’m glad to see 4 Stars! My request has been pending for quite a while so I think I’ll be getting it from the library when it’s available!"

I’ll have a review posted soon, Michelle

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Tammy 💝

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Very good review, Tammy ;)

Karen Awesome review Tammy! On my list!!

Tammy Maureen wrote: "Great review Tammy 💝"

Thanks, Maureen! 💕

Tammy Diane wrote: "Very good review, Tammy ;)"

Thanks much, Diane!

Tammy Karen wrote: "Awesome review Tammy! On my list!!"

Thanks, Karen! I blew through it in one day

message 9: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Excellent review Tammy! I just might have to add this ot the tbr. Thanks 🙂

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Wonderful review, Tammy! An interesting time...

Tammy Melanie wrote: "Excellent review Tammy! I just might have to add this ot the tbr. Thanks 🙂"

Thanks, Melanie. It’s quite good

Tammy Paula wrote: "Wonderful review, Tammy! An interesting time..."

Thanks, Paula! It seems as if enough time has passed and authors are beginning to revisit the ‘60’s

Angela M Terrific review, Tammy.

message 14: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Tammy!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle That cover is really something. She appears to be in profile but actually isn't. Very cool. Great review, Tammy! 😊

Tammy Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Tammy."

Thanks, Angela

Tammy Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Tammy!"

Thanks much, Meredith!

message 18: by Tammy (last edited Mar 12, 2019 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammy Michelle wrote: "That cover is really something. She appears to be in profile but actually isn't. Very cool. Great review, Tammy! 😊"

Thanks, Michelle! The cover is stunning. I own the same sunglasses, too 😎

Brandice Nice review, Tammy! This sounds interesting and I love the book cover! :)

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review, Tammy! 😊

Julie Excellent review, Tammy!! Sounds intriguing! 😊

Tammy Brandice wrote: "Nice review, Tammy! This sounds interesting and I love the book cover! :)"

Thanks, Brandice! The cover is spectacular

Tammy Melissa wrote: "Great review, Tammy! 😊"

Thanks much, Melissa!

Tammy Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Tammy!! Sounds intriguing! 😊"

Thanks, Julie. I think you’ll like this :)

message 25: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Tammy!!

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crytzer Fry Another fabulous review. Pretty gutsy as an author to risk losing readers at the outset by using the "simplistic-to-sophisticated" writing device!

Indeed -- good people with good intentions can surely wreak havoc.

Tammy Deanna wrote: "Great review, Tammy!!"

Thanks, Deanna!

message 28: by Tammy (last edited Mar 14, 2019 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammy Melissa wrote: "Another fabulous review. Pretty gutsy as an author to risk losing readers at the outset by using the "simplistic-to-sophisticated" writing device!

Indeed -- good people with good intentions can s..."

Thanks, Melissa. I came very close to abandoning it and I’m guessing it was intentional. I’m glad I didn’t

Cheri Terrific review, Tammy, this sounds tempting... how long did it take for you to feel 'invested' in this story?

Tammy Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Tammy, this sounds tempting... how long did it take for you to feel 'invested' in this story?"

Thanks, Cheri. I was interested from the beginning but I think it hit its stride at about 20-25 pages in. I'm guessing.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Tammy! I’m going to check this one out!

Elyse Walters I’m happy to see this review and that, as you told Cheri, you got invested into the story right away. I requested this book a while ago myself and have it ready to read soon.
I was immediately and trained I’m pretty sure I would like this so you have now confirmed my excitement to read it. 💖🧡📚❤️

Elyse Walters Immediately intrigued... it should say

message 34: by Misty (new) - added it

Misty Great review!!

Tammy Elyse wrote: "I’m happy to see this review and that, as you told Cheri, you got invested into the story right away. I requested this book a while ago myself and have it ready to read soon.
I was immediately and..."

Can’t wait for your thoughts, Elyse! I’ll keep an eye out for you review. 😘

Tammy Misty wrote: "Great review!!"

Thanks, Misty

Tammy Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Tammy! I’m going to check this one out!"

Thanks, Jennifer. I think it’s well worth reading

Elyse Walters Tammy....I’m still feeling nostalgic... for this past history friendship -LOVE BOOK...
I feel the sadness...
the smiles -and my AGE. LOL

SOO GLAD TO have both shared this gem together
🥰🥰📚🎧👣🌈☮️🎤🎼🌸👗👠👚👖🥛🍪❤️

Tammy Elyse wrote: "Tammy....I’m still feeling nostalgic... for this past history friendship -LOVE BOOK...
I feel the sadness...
the smiles -and my AGE. LOL

SOO GLAD TO have both shared this gem together
🥰🥰📚🎧👣🌈☮️🎤🎼..."

It’s a good one, Elyse! I’m glad you loved it too! I love the emojis. Perfect for this book. Xo

message 40: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Another one I haven't come across yet! Wow, there are just So Many Books to read! Wonderful review! :)

Tammy Jaline wrote: "Another one I haven't come across yet! Wow, there are just So Many Books to read! Wonderful review! :)"

Thanks, Jaline! This is considered to be a fall title. From what I’ve seen so far, the fall lists look strong