Megan's Reviews > The Last Resort

The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley

74520189

liked it

The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley is a good beach read, if not a bit predictable. The Harmony Resort on the Mayan Riviera is run by celebrity marriage counselors Miles and Grace Markell. Couples who are struggling with their marriage go to the "last resort" to get the help they need to repair their relationship. Two couples, Johanna and Ben and Shell and Colin, both arrive at the Harmony Resort with seemingly unsolvable marriage issues. Johanna has experienced a serious trauma, which has caused her and Ben to drift apart to the point that they feel that they don't know each other at all. Shell and Colin are always fighting: Colin is a workaholic and Shell's drinking has gotten out of control and something in their past is threatening to tear them apart. It is clear that both couples are hiding many secrets and they may not be the only ones, as secrets seem to surround Miles and Grace Markell as well. When a dangerous storm touches down on the resort, secrets will be exposed and no one will go unscathed by the destruction.

I enjoyed the premise of the Last Resort, thought it did remind me of other recent novels in which therapy/counseling and the secrets it exposes are the main concept. While I did find some of it to be predictable, there were a couple of reveals that did surprise me. I also thought that Marissa Stapley created some complex and flawed characters and I did enjoy reading about them and learning their secrets. This is definitely a good beach read; it's enjoyable and quick.

Thank you to Netgalley and Graydon House for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Resort.

March 10, 2019 – Shelved