Plum-crazy's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Rebecca Muddiman

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2019, misc-crime-mystery-thriller

Mmm...looking at the review ratings for this book it would seem that once again I'm in the minority with my opinions.
As is so often these days, this story covers two timelines, in this case the events leading to the disappearance of Emma Thorley in 1999 & the discovery of a body eleven years on....is it Emma?
DS Nicola Freeman reinvestigates Emma's disappearance roping in one of the officers from the original case, Michael Gardner.

I can't say I found any of the characters particularly well-rounded. It wasn't that I disliked Freeman & Gardner, I just didn't particularly like them either as the pair were so lacking in personality it was hard to form any opinion about them. The rest of the cast were pretty much to type & at times there seemed to me to be a rather unpolished undertone to the narrative. Maybe this was because the prose was quite basic & lacking in detail & while I often bemoan the fact that too much description can feel like padding, this could have done with some as in parts the scenes never felt truly set.

On the plus side it was a fast read, with some very short chapters so things moved along at a decent pace. However, the short chapters along with the coarseness of the characters, had me thinking of it as a weird James Patterson/Martina Cole hybrid!

Overall a passable enough read -well to be fair, I did finish it - & I can't say there was anything overly wrong with it just that didn't grip me & there was nothing about it that made it stand out from the crowd. "Nondescript" sums it up for me & I think in a day or so I'll have pretty much forgotten it.......

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

March 9, 2019 – Started Reading